Newbie!

trish_ok
on 9/19/11 5:58 am
Hello everyone!  I've been lurking around here for awhile now, just gathering as much information as I can.  I've debated on having surgery for years now, but am to the point where I feel it's inevitable.  I went to my seminar on Saturday and have an appointment for my first consult on Sept. 30.  I'm becoming very impatient now and just want to get the show on the road!  I know I have to slow down and go through the steps, but I guess it seems like I wasted so many years debating it that now that I have my mind 100% made up, I just want it now!  I'm praying that insurance will pay and am curious as to on average, how long did it take to find out?  I have Aetna OAMC 1500-10.  Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do between now and my consult?  Is anyone familiar with this Aetna policy? 
Thank you for taking the time to read this.  I look forward to starting this journey with so many inspirational people.  

Tricia
2muchfluff
on 9/19/11 6:44 am, edited 9/18/11 10:36 pm
Not familiar with your insurance, but I know the feeling of wanting to get 'er done, once you have made up your mind. My insurance required a 6 month doctor supervised weight loss and 6month counseling or support group attendance. Although I was bugged by this, it really did prove to be a good thing. You have time to get all your ducks in a row, try out proteins, psych yourself up etc Hope things go well for you during your preparations.

Lisa J.
on 9/19/11 6:58 am - OK
You are going to Weight Wise so THAT'S the best news! From the stuff I see on here, it's mind blowing so many people are just forking over cash, having a surgery and NOT being self advocates or at all informed, have no idea what to expect.

YOU GOT A CONSULT and it's only a few days away!!  I don't know about your insurance and they might reimburse you for whatever you pay out of pocket, however, once arrive at your consult appt that's your starting weight and it's SO much easier to learn to get with the new eating regimen and not be stressed out about having only 30 days to lose X amount of pre-surgery weight. I'm sure waiting 6 months if you have to will be annoying as heck but it will be worth it in the long run. Plus, insurance companies are known to drop the ball every now and then so you'll be able to have time to jump through all the hoops when necessary.

If you can meet with the nutritionist and all that stuff that will be super cool, and please, please take advantage of the weekly support group meetings; they are GOLDEN opportunities to learn and share. What the old timers can offer you is way more than you'd even realize.

I gather you've decided on VSG? I know for me, I was limited only to knowing/hearing about RNY and Lap Band, but that seminar was the key to knowing, absolutely knowing what I needed and that there were more options than I knew. You'll get all the support you need, and you'll get so much information you will be amazed.

CONGRATULATIONS on your path to your new life!!
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
Suane
on 9/19/11 12:32 pm - Livingston County, MI
Good for you making up your mind. And I totally understand your impatience now, but learn as much as you can before you have the surgery.

At the consultation ask the doctor how long you will be in the hospital, how many incisions, are there post op support groups, what type of diet will be required before and after surgery, what size bougie is used for the sleeve (this is like a template for the staple line), what kinds of vitamins, minerals and supplements you will need to take post op and what will you need to avoid for the rest of your life.

I hope that the time passes quickly for you. I had my consultation about this time last year and had surgery within two months. It gave me time to research and prepare myself for such a life changing surgery. I've been thankful every day for my sleeve and all the support from my docs and this website.

Always the best wishes, Sue 

HW: 261   SW: 248.5   CW: 154  GW: 135     5' 2"

Crystal M.
on 9/19/11 3:14 pm - El Paso, TX
I have Aetna insurance, and they required 3 months of medically supervised dieting & exercise before approving the surgery. Be sure to do everything they require; insurance companies CAN and DO deny your surgery if you do not comply with their rules. (There was a lady who went thru the whole program, dieted, went to weekly classes, the whole bit. But she didn't go to the gym 2-3 times a week as required, and her insurance company denied her. Her appeals failed. Very sad, but her own fault.)

I finished my 3-month program and waited about a week before getting my approval. Another person who went thru the program with me also had Aetna & he got his approval just two hours after it was submitted, and had his surgery 5 days after that. It all really depends on which claims representative reviews your case.

I know how you feel. The whole idea of WLS is something I rolled around in my mind for a year or more before building up the courage to go to a informational seminar, but from that seminar on, it became the focus of my life and I couldn't wait to get on the table! Looking back, the 3-month program went by fast, but at the time, it sure seemed to move slowly. 

Best of luck to you. I recommend you do lots of research (this forum is a good place to start) while you're waiting.
It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

trish_ok
on 9/20/11 12:41 am
Thank you all so much for your words of wisdom and encouragement!  It's so good to have a place where everyone knows exactly what you're going through.  I look forward to starting this journey with you all! 

Most Active