One month out...

starrymmm
on 9/19/11 10:18 am - Bellingham, WA
So I am officially one month out of having my sleeve done and I am a little concerned. What is supposed to be the average weight lose in that time? Maybe I am just freaking out but I thought it would be coming off faster then this. Advise please?
Laurie M.
on 9/19/11 10:23 am - KS

Everyone is different. It depends on your start weight. You do not have a ticker so it is hard to say. Most people lose 15-20lbs. I lost 14lbs but I am considered a lightweight. Dont worry! It is a journey not a race...you will do fine!

starrymmm
on 9/19/11 10:28 am - Bellingham, WA
Maybe I am just being impatient, I have waited a very long time to have this done and now that I have it I can't wait to see results.
levy_b
on 9/19/11 11:04 am
 I am also considered a lightweight and there are not near as many.. How long since your surgery? Do you love it? I am having the sleeve a week from today and I am still nervous.. Anything would help!

starrymmm
on 9/19/11 11:27 am - Bellingham, WA
It's amazing, it was nothing like I expected. I thought that I would be in a lot of pain and not going to be able to work for weeks. I was off my pain meds 3 days afterwards and that was probably a day too much haha. I went back to work after a week and a half. I'm not pushing myself too much like my surgeon said but everything is going so smoothly that I was surprised. But everybody has a different recovery time.
USAF Wife
on 9/19/11 10:48 am, edited 9/19/11 10:48 am
Way too many factors play into the equation to even give you an average.

1) Your starting weight
2) Your goal weight
3) Any metabolic issues/conditions
4) Co-morbidities
5) Post-op dietary guidelines
6) Your own individual body

I've seen everything from 40lbs to 7lbs lost the first 30 days. There's no rhyme or reason to it, and each person will get different numbers.

Percentage of weight loss, regardless of starting vs. goal weight are typically neck and neck at the end of 6-12 months post-op. And, even then those numbers vary.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

lortiz25
on 9/19/11 12:25 pm
 I am 2 months out, and my first month I lost 18 pounds.  In total, I have now lost 42 pounds.  It seems that I have been averaging losing 1-3 pounds a week.  But I am also considered a light weight, starting at 205.

It really all depends on your start weight.  But believe me, you will get results!

I am jealous that you had a pain free recovery of only using meds for 3 days.  I was in pain using pain meds up to 4 weeks! It was such a painful recovery for me, and I don't work.  But good for you, I know everyone is different.
becca11376
on 9/19/11 12:33 pm - Ashland, OH
Congratulations on the surgery! and the quick recovery...I found in my experience if your strong going in you recover quicker....question for you, Are you excercising?  I'm sure you doing great settling into a new you and routine, but it's always nice to remind ourselves that this is our new "tool" and we have to work it.  It's a great time that your at to retrain your mind and emotions! I'm sure your doing great, just remember that the maximum results are up to you and do take between, 12-18 months! Good luck, hang tough!
Becca
I can do all things thru Christ who stregthens me.....Phil 4:13
HW: 268 Pre op 241- CW 198 Slow & Steady!    
Christij908
on 9/19/11 10:33 pm
I agree, it depends on your weight, co morbidity issues, protein intake, etc.  What's important is that you don't lose your focus.  I actually lost 18 pounds in the hospital and then I slowed down.  PLEASE, don't compare yourself to others.  That is our greatest pitfall.  Listen to your doctor and talk to your nutritionist.  Remember if you don't exercise to try and walk every day.  Have faith in yourself. Keeping a log may help (although it drives me crazy).  Keep in touch with this forum.  The people here are great.  Good luck

injeneral
on 9/20/11 3:06 am
Too many variables to consider. Each person's journey is their own, you know? Comparing yourself to others will just make you crazy. :)
LilySlim Weight loss tickers                        
HT: 5'3"      HW: 240     GW: 130     AGE: 30     PCOSer; diagnosed 2003
Month 1:  -21.2 (218.8)   Month 2: -10 (208.8)   Month 3: -10.6 (198.2)   Month 4: -8.6 (189.6)
First goal (to be under 200): Nov. 11; 199.2
Second goal: weigh less than my husband (174):

I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable, beautiful and afraid of nothing as though I had wings. — Mary Oliver

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 90 views