Is it normal to get hungry frequently?

Eleanor_M
on 9/28/11 6:25 am - Overland Park, KS
 Hi,  it's only been two weeks since my surgery, and in the last few days, I have found myself getting really hungry frequently.  I can still only eat a few ounces of food, and it tkes a while to drink a protein shake.  Is this normal?  

I have read that after I can eat more solid food, it will stay in my stomach longer, and I won't get hungry so fast.  Is this true?

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/11 6:28 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Its been normal for me.  I go about 3 hours before the hongries start, if I try and pu**** past 4, its no good.
jennay80
on 9/28/11 6:48 am - Elmore, OH
 Hello, I am 2 1/2 weeks out.  I only got hungry the first 4 days after surgery, but now I rarely get hungry, but I am now eating soft foods, like chicken salad and eggs.  I don't weight my food, but I only can eat 5-6 small bites of greek yogurt or half a scrambled egg.  I don't feel full, never have, just don't "want" more, hard to explain, so I stop eating.  I can drink a protein shake that is 12 oz full in 20 minutes, but I suck down the ice water with no problem.  But I doubt I eat more then a few oz at a time, just the liquids go down so good, never had a problem really, but I know everyone is so different so I have heard to go at the pace you can handle.  Good luck with everything, I am feeling so good now that I can eat soft foods, are you able to eat them yet?  I could at 2 weeks.

atomic_bettie
on 9/28/11 7:43 am - OK
I had the same concerns you did after my getting my sleeve.  Everybody's sleeve is different.  Some people don't have an appetite and some people do.  I'm one of those people that gets hungry.  I can only eat maybe 2 oz of food at a time, but within two hours I feel like that I haven't eaten at all.  I have found out that my fluids were emptying my stomach so now I hold off on my liquids until about my next meal that way I don't feel starved.  As for the protein shake, it's going to take more time to drink than water because it is thicker.  Also, the denser the food the longer it stays in the pouch due to the "funnel factor."  However, if you are still on mushies, I would not suggest you move to more solid foods until given the okay by your dietician.  Also, sf popsicles are a lifesaver to me when I'm feeling the need to snack.  Good luck to you! :).
Visit my WLS blog:  themisfitscarlett.blogspot.com                                    
Faye56
on 9/28/11 7:52 am
VSG on 07/19/11 with

I am 10 weeks out and I have not lost my hunger. I get hungry every 2 or 3 hours and if it is not meal time I will have a cheese stick or something to hold me over. I still can only eat about 2.5 oz of dense protein at a meal. (I hope that stays with me a long while.) I do get hungry a couple of hours after the dense protein meal though.
Good luck on your journey!

"Encourage instead of criticize.  Love instead of hate.  Hope instead of doubt. Give instead of take.  Trust instead of worry.  We open our hearts to others so that they will be prompted to open their hearts to God"  Lucy Swindoll

Eleanor_M
on 9/28/11 10:19 am - Overland Park, KS
Thanks for the information everyone.  I guess I won't worry about it for now.  It seems like if you are still healing, you just have to wait and see, as things may be very different after you have finished healing.  Can't wait for that!
Thanks again. 

vacationlover
on 9/28/11 11:23 am
Hi!  I'm over 5 months out and have not yet fully lost my hunger.  Some days I am more hungry, some days I am less.

Once I started on dense proteins, like chicken, my hunger decreased.  Also, once I started eating solid snacks (versus just a protein drink), I was better able to handle my hunger. 

An average day looks like this to me.  This type of schedule helps to manage my hunger.
- breakfast of a dense protein
- snack is latte
- lunch is a dense protein and maybe a little fruit or veggies
- snack is a protein like soy nuts or jerky
- dinner is a dense protein and maybe a little fruit or veggies
- if I get hungry after dinner, I have a protein like soy nuts or jerky.

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

Kayla M.
on 9/28/11 11:33 am
I've noticed that I start to feel hungry if I haven't had water in a while.
I also seem to be having a lot of "head hunger" just because of the deprivation of being on a full liquid diet. I don't necessarily want anything, I just feel hungry.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views