i hate my proetin shake..

thatgirlwonder24
on 9/29/11 6:16 am
i hate my shake and it tast disgusting. Any suggestions on great tasting protein shakes??
91Annie15
on 9/29/11 6:31 am - CA
 Join the club!  LOL  I go to Eggface's blog to get great ideas to spruce up the ol' protein shake.

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

Adding instant coffee makes a world of difference for me, too.  Good luck finding a way to work it into your diet.  =)

-AA   
tristak
on 9/29/11 6:54 am
OK a few questions and suggestions:
1.  What brand/flavor are you referring to?
2.  Are you milk/whey/lactose intolerant or allergic?

The one I have found that gives me the most for the least is Premier Protein Shakes in chocolate - I buy them at Costco - about $25 for a box of 18.  My second choice is Nectar Vanilla Bean Torte powder - I bought the single serve packets that I can easily travel with (bought these on Amazon).  My other go to is EAS carb control in strawberry (I work for the EAS parent company so I bought them through work - but you can buy these at a variety of stores (Target, GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, online, etc)

Search through this site and you will see there are some companies that will sell you sample sizes (Syntax Nectar is one).  Also check with your nutrionist they may be able to offer you some samples (I got some Unjury through my nutrionist).

It is trial and error.  Biggest recommendation - you may find one or two you like now but don't go too crazy as some people's tastes change after surgery.

I accept the ones I recommended above...do I love them - they do the job.  It's like exercise to me...I do it because I need to not because I crave it

5'2"
HW - 310/SW 300/Day of Surgery 293.2/CW - 182.2 (2/26/19), fleur de lys abdominoplasty 2/12/19 - removed 8lbs of skin from abdomen.

Marie M.
on 9/29/11 7:11 am - PA
I feel your pain lol.  I am 16 days postop and only last week found a shake that I like.  It is Ensure High Protein Shake (can buy it at Walmart, CVS, Rite Aide, etc).  Comes in chocolate and vanilla.  Costs about $9 for a 4 pack. A little pricey but well worth it for the taste.  Each shake has 25 grams  of protein but also 20 gr carbs.  They are delicious!  I was concerned about the high carbs, so with each shake I add 2 scoops of Unjury unflavored protein.  Each scoop is 20 grams of protein with 1 gram of carbs.  It is truly tasteless.  I'm on mushies now and sprinkle the powdered Unjury on them--can't taste a thing.  Now my shake has 45 grams of protein and I try to get the rest of my protein in thru my food.  By doing this I've cut my shakes down from 3/day to 1/day.  Hope this helps!

Age: 50    Ht: 5' 3.5"    SW: 261   BMI: 45.5    CW: 119.4   BMI: 20.8   Goal in 9.5 months   (23.6  lbs below goal)   Total lost:  141.6 lbs   Inches lost:  84.25"
  Month one: 22.2 lbs;  Month 2:  17.4 lbs;   Month 3: 11 lbs;  Month 4: 13 lbs;  Month 5: 11.4 lbs;  Month 6: 9.2 lbs;   Month 7: 13.2 lbs;  Month 8: 9 lbs;  Month 9: 10.2 lbs;   Month 10:  3.6 lbs:   Month 11:   7.6 lbs   Month 12:  5.8 lbs                                    

Father Don
on 9/29/11 8:09 am - Charleston, SC
Marie - jus****ch the sugar content on those - some are really high!

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

Marie M.
on 9/29/11 8:59 am - PA
Thanks for the heads up, Fr. Don.  They have 5 grams of sugar which my NUT said is fine.
Marie

Age: 50    Ht: 5' 3.5"    SW: 261   BMI: 45.5    CW: 119.4   BMI: 20.8   Goal in 9.5 months   (23.6  lbs below goal)   Total lost:  141.6 lbs   Inches lost:  84.25"
  Month one: 22.2 lbs;  Month 2:  17.4 lbs;   Month 3: 11 lbs;  Month 4: 13 lbs;  Month 5: 11.4 lbs;  Month 6: 9.2 lbs;   Month 7: 13.2 lbs;  Month 8: 9 lbs;  Month 9: 10.2 lbs;   Month 10:  3.6 lbs:   Month 11:   7.6 lbs   Month 12:  5.8 lbs                                    

MNgrl2TX
on 9/29/11 7:24 am
VSG on 09/19/11 with
 Try sugar-free syrups.  I use white chocolate or carmel in my chocolate shakes.  I have raspberry too!  This really helps to make them taste better.  You can buy carmel for under $10 at starbucks!  The others I got a a specialty market.  You can also get them online:

http://www.davincigourmet.com/products/sugar_free_flavored_s yrups/

You may also want to try what I term as Liquid Proteins. They are syrup packets that you add to water and they are not chacky like shakes.  Flavors such as grape and mixed berry.

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/  - look at the link for ProtiDiet Drinks.  

I had bought unflavored protein to add to broth, but found that it smelled very bad.  The hospital had a very good kind that I really like - Unjury brand

http://www.unjury.com/

Hope these help!  

33 yrs old - 5'8 - SW 305 - GW 165
                            MyFitnessPal: DuckyTX

queen R.
on 9/29/11 2:18 pm - enid, OK
By far, the best shakes out there are sold at the e-store from my doctor at weightwise.com.  They are sooooo good. 

saj8380
on 10/2/11 3:01 am - MD
TRY PURE PROTEIN SHAKES IN VANILLA, STRAWBERRRY AND BANANNA FLAVOR...I GET MINES FROM THE VITAMIN SHOPPE
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views