hopsital phobia???

AMoody
on 9/29/11 9:25 am - Mayville, MI
VSG on 02/06/12
ok, I have not had surgery nor have I been denied, Im still waiting for approval form insurance company, but I have a question and I know that this is gonna sound rediculous but I hate hospitals, not just hate but we are talking almost to the point of a phobia, even looking at some of the people that have posted on youtube their surgery/stay in the hospital, I honestly had to put my head between my legs, well as far as I could take it, because I felt like I was going to pass out.. I guess my question would be is there ANYONE on here that has a reaction like that to even just the aspect of hospitals/surgery? I know Im being wimpy but I am what I am.. but if anyone can tell me what they did to get threw it I would greatly appreciate it.. I can go into a hospital, but say Im visiting someone in there I cannot stay in the room I get that pass out feeling, I have to walk out of the room..just wondering out loud here and hopeing for someone to say oh I have that too but this is what I did.. I hate needles also and I have a hard time with anasteshia..sorry about spellings, does this message board have a spell check..anyway i'll be waiting for all the wonderful suggestions..
kimbethin
on 9/29/11 9:38 am - CA
Hi I'm a nurse so I don't share your phobia, but my sister does so I understand. There are a few options.  Get a prescription for ativan or valium to take the night before and the morning of surgery to help you relax before you get to surgery.  Post op the are pain meds and more anti-anxiety meds if you need them.  Another idea is hypnosis to help you get through it.  If your surgery date isn't for awhile yet you have time for a few sessions to get ready.  Think about just what it is that you are afraid of .  Talk to the doctor and the team about each of those things and they may be able to put you at ease.  It is not a long hospital stay and it will be so worth it.  You also may be able to get a tour of the hospital before your surgery date and ask questions to take some fear away.  Go with a good friend who can help you stay focused.  Being there when nobody you love is in crisis may make it less scary for you.  Good luck
putting one foot in front of the other...        
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/29/11 11:19 am - Tuvalu

I was always afraid of heights.  As a kid, I'd make EVERYBODY behind me on the ladder up the high dive get off, so that I could climb back DOWN the ladder.  THAT afraid.  Afraid enough to endure the inescapable ridicule of those who had to get off the ladder.

Over the years, I'd do SOME things at not very high places, but never as far as my mountain goat kid climbed.

And then...when I was about 45 years old or so, I needed a Red Cross Cetificate to get a job I REALLY wanted.  To get that certificate, I had to jump off the high dive.  I thought about it long and hard and decided it was worth it.  So I did it.

And that's about as simple as it gets.  You want something enough...you do what you need to do to get it.  You don't HAVE to do it.  It's your choice.  But if you want the surgery, you'll need to enter a hospital.

Also...I would NOT take ANYTHING that might interfere with breathing on my surgery day or the day before.  But I WOULD find out who the anesthesiologist is going to be and ask THAT person what I might be able to take.

I also think that you need to visit the hospital.  Go to the gift shop.  Go to the nursery and look at babies.  Go to the cafeteria.  Take a book.  Pretend like you're waiting for someone.  Spend more and more time there each visit.  Talk to the gift shop ladies.  Talk to a volunteer.  The longer you stay away, the scarier it will get.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views