Pre Op Diet

Miluska32
on 10/3/11 3:37 am - NJ
Hello All,
I have a tentative surgery date of 11/21/11 for VSG surgery.  I have done the seminars and the dietitian told us that some Dr's put patients on a special diet before surgery but that my Dr. does not do this.  I was wondering what the diet consists of and what are the benefits to dieting before the surgery.  I would like some more information from anyone who was on the "Special Diet" before there surgery.  I would like to start preparing myself as much as I can before my surgery date.

Thanks for the information!!!
watchmenow
on 10/3/11 3:52 am

I was on full liquids for 2 weeks!  It was incrediby hard.  I was glad that I had lost weight prior to surgery especially since the weightloss came primarily from my belly.  My diet consisted of a diet similar to the full liquid diet.  Protein shakes and broth with 1 cup of steamed veggies for dinner.  It did prepare me for the diet after surgery.  Even though I don't feel hunger,  I do want to eat.  (I am 44) Imagine not doing something you have done at whim for 44 years........then imagine not being able to do that suddenly,  It is hard especially when your family is eating, cooking etc.  My senses are heightened and I can smell everything! I lost 15 lbs preop.  It was bloody murder but worth it.

I like calling North Carolina home!!!  Go Tarheels!  

phine_20
on 10/3/11 3:53 am - GA
My preop diet consists of liquids only for two weeks prior to surgery. I can have protein shakes mixed with skim milk, and all other sugar free, caffeine free, calorie free, carbonation free beverages I want. I can also have chicken and beef broth, sugar free popsicles and sugar free jello. 
mandyc1975
on 10/3/11 4:41 am - Richardson, TX
VSG on 09/20/11 with
There is a purpose to the pre-op diet. It is meant to shrink your liver and other organs to make surgery safer. It allows for more room to work once they get inside to operate. My surgeon will sew you right back up and not operate! He sais it is pretty obvious whether or not the diet was followed.

Anyway, my diet consisted of 4-5 slimfast high protein shakes or high protein bars and a small meal at night (4 ounces of lean meat and 2 cups of non starch veggies). Of course I could have all the water or decaf tea or crystal lite.ect that I wanted (alteast 64oz per day).

Congratulations on your surgery date and Good Luck!
Do not ask God to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

9/4 (pro op) 299 lbs - 9/20 (surgery day) 285 lbs - 10/4 268 lbs - 11/7 251 lbs- 12/8 239 lbs - 1/9 222 lbs - 2/7 214 lbs - 3/3 202 lbs - 3/19 194 lbs ... 9/20/2012 - 142 lbs
isaac14
on 10/4/11 2:24 pm
 hello everyone, i am currently on the liquid diet and im having a very hard time. I feel weak sometimes. However i am very happy because on monday 10/10 is my surgery. Anyone has any advice that will help through this? 
Thanks
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views