I miss food....i think......ugh!!!!

mbennett66
on 10/2/11 11:55 pm - TN
Hello all.  Thought I would post and get some stuff off my chest.  As usual feedback from veteren exp is appreciated.

I am four weeks out from surgery tomorrow.  I am down 26# according to my home scale.  Cleaned out my closet for the first time yesterday.  Looks like im gonna be ok on shirts for the cooler weather.  We will see how much the waist shrinks as it gets cold.  Anyway that was fun.  Filled up a 55Gal contractor bag of clothes to take to Goodwill.

Now to my post........Im somewhere in between "missing food" and "hating the thought of food".   Its been 5 weeks since I have consumed anything substantial in the way of nice tasty chewable food.  Food was a big part of my life.  I enjoyed it.  I was a stress eater and emotional eater.

People who know about my surgery have asked if I am hungry.  I tell them I dont feel hungry.  Im glad of that because that would be worse.   I describe to them that although not hungry, I do feel different levels of empty.  

Even as I started on mushy food over the past few days, nothing is good.  I don't even want it.  From tuna at home to a bite of mashed up backed fish, or finely chopped baked or grilled chicken out, its all just .....uh whatever!?!?!?!?

Im working to think about replacements for food like getting out in the garage and working onthe hot rod or even logging on and working at my job.  I have plenty there to keep my busy.  Right now I think the biggest roadblock there is the energy level both mentally and physically.

I know its important to start getting in my food as time goes on.

My wife is 18M out from her DS so she is familiar with what I am going through, but I also feel like sometimes she forgets so its hard.

I think that about covers it.  Hopefully that gives all you vets a good idea of where Im coming from.

Have a good day.
Micah B
Murfreesboro TN
VSG on 09-06-11

Steph4575
on 10/3/11 12:02 am - TX
It is hard, but you sound like you are doing well.
I mourned food a lot, and still do...I'm not a vet though, still a newbie, only about a month further out than you, and can tell you that it does get easier. My food tastes have changed (not my taste buds, just what I choose to eat), if I only like something a little, I won't eat it. I have to really like something for me to feel that its worth it to put in my pouch.
The energy thing is definitely something to contend with, and it takes a while for your body to adjust. I'm still working on the energy aspect of it all.
People do forget how hard things are...its why women keep having babies, lol. Still, I'm sure your wife is a great supporter. Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon!

Marie B.
on 10/3/11 12:53 am - Pitman, NJ
VSG on 09/20/10 with
Congrats on joining us on the bench!  Sounds like you're doing pretty well.  I think you'll find lots of emotional stages to go through as you adjust.  I too am an emotional/stress eater.  It's hard to get past that.  Food was always my buddy.  Now, well, it's a necessary acquaintance.  At a year out, I still find I stress eat, but I make much better choices, and of course it helps that I can't fit much down my pie hole!  You will find sleeve friendly foods and things you enjoy, sort of.  Just be sure to stay away from the old, fat and carb laden junk.  Best wishes to you and can't wait to see your progress!
Highest weight ever recorded: 224lbs.    Surgery weight: 194 lbs.
Goal range:  130-135 lbs.
  Lowest:119.7   Current weight 142lbs Height: 5' 2" almost

faylavi
on 10/3/11 3:05 am - Laurel, MD
I just got to the point where I dont miss food.  I think my mind FINALLY caught up with my belly. The mental part of it, can be quite challenging.  

I used to just not eat sometimes, since it was not my food of choice, which led to light headedness etc.  There are still days when I dont know what to eat (foodblock).  I often eat the same thing for too long and then I cant stand it anymore, like tuna...

Hang in there!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

46yrs old  5'4'' HW 306  AW  288  SW 276 CW 192  205                                                  Next goal <199     

Crystal M.
on 10/3/11 3:33 am - El Paso, TX
Micah, I am not a vet ~ I had my surgery the same day as you ~ but I just wanted to let you know that I am just about exactly the same place you are.

I've lost 29 lbs (23 lbs since surgery), I just cleaned out my closet last week, I don't feel hungry, and I also don't much enjoy the taste of foods either.

Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone!

It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

nolabean504
on 10/3/11 4:32 am - Metairie, LA
I'm almost 2 years out and I hardly remember that time, it goes fast and soon you will want that restriction back again.  I still think some days what is the point of eating and others I'm starving. 

dcamacho01
on 10/3/11 10:09 am
Hi Micah,

I had my sleeve done 4 weeks ago tomorrow and sometimes I have my doubts on the surgery even though I know this is good for me. I miss food so much and it is difficult for me to find foods that I like to eat more than once. I am trying every day something different and at the same time is so difficult because there are days I do not know what to eat. Everyone tells me thatthis will pass and things will get better. Hang in there!!! Diana
Diana

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 94 views