Abcess under my larger incision

Amber74
on 10/5/11 1:39 am - CA
 Hey Y'all,
I had my surgery Sept. 8th and 2 weeks later had to be readmitted for what turned out to be an abcess under my larger incision......Dr. Swartz reopened it to allow it to drain and I now have to pack it 2 times a day with this Iodoform strip stuff, which makes me smell like a fetal science pig!!  LOL...The healing is slow, which I liken to my body not being at it's best.  My question is, Has anyone experienced anything like this?  How long did it take for you to heal?  I take muscle relaxers and some pain meds, which dull my sences and make me less that my normal bubbly self, but they help with the pain.....I see this as a temporary speed bump on my way to fabulosity but my god!! It's wearing on me.....Any advice would be lovely!!
Paige V.
on 10/5/11 1:48 am - Gainesville, FL
I have not had it, but I was a wound care nurse for a while.

Really it all depends on how big it is, how well you are caring for it...make sure you do not see any black/necrotic tissue in there...its should be staying nice and pink and meaty looking. What is of UPMOST importance right now to encourage healing is to make sure you get adequate or more than adequate protein.

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

Amber74
on 10/5/11 6:45 am - CA
 THere is no black or necrotic tissue from what I can see....The opening itself is dcreasing in size, I can fit a Q-tip into in, it's about that small.....It's just deep. I can almost fir the entire Q-tip into it....So I wonder if the opening closes before the inside heals, if I'm going to have to go in and have em reopen it again for drainage.....I make sure to get my 60-70 grams of protein a day, I'm 5' 10".....
It's tricky but I know that's essential for optimal healing, so I make it happen....Thanks for responding Paige
Paige V.
on 10/5/11 10:21 am - Gainesville, FL
generally speaking it will heal from the inside out, lets hope that is the case for you. I am pretty tall too (almost 5'9) so I know how tricky it is to get all the protein we tall ladies need! =)

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

Amber74
on 10/6/11 5:01 am - CA
OH Geez, that's what I was afraid of!!  The opening seems to be closing quicker than the rest....Then again, IDK what's going on on the inside....I'll keep my fingers crossed....Yep...this protein is a battle!! 
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views