what to do

shoop
on 10/11/11 4:48 am
 Hi everyone
I have a decision to make and make it as quickly as possible.  I have had lap band since 2009 and in April the band has become disconnected.  The surgeon has offered either to fix the band that I have or to do a sleeve.  I am torn at what to do.  I am currently 216 pounds and still have a ways to go for my goal weight.  I have been doing research on the sleeve for a while now.  I was basically wondering if anyone had switched from lap band to sleeve and also what your experiences have been with the sleeve. How long were you in the hospital and if you would do it again.. Any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you so much!
Sharon G.
on 10/11/11 4:54 am - Middlesex County, NJ
 I had my band done in 2007 and had emergency band removal because it was slipped.gained 25 lbs since it was removed, I had to wait at least 6 weeks for another procedure done, I just had the sleeve ( my DR. would NOT do another band) done on Oct 5, 2011 and feel great...It feels so much easier then having the port, Im 6 days out and have had mushies already and am down 13 lbs...Whatever you deside, will be right for you....Best of luck to you...

shoop
on 10/11/11 4:56 am
 Thank you for that info...were you in the hospital long after the surgery or is it pretty much the same as the band?
Sharon G.
on 10/11/11 5:00 am - Middlesex County, NJ
 I stayed for 1 night, basically just like the band...

edelu
on 10/11/11 5:12 am - los angeles, CA
It's definitely a tougher surgery than the one for the band.  I also had a band in 2009 and a revision to sleeve 8/1/11.  I loved my band and this is taking some getting used to.  I will say I'm not losing weight but i am certainly an anomaly. If i was losing i would unreservedly say it was superior to the band in terms of life stuff.  It's easier than the band, no more sliming etc.  when i had the band surgery i was up and around and back to routine in 3 days.  This surgery took 2-3 weeks before i felt back to normal.  I also had my band removed and sleeve in one surgery. 2 days in the hospital is pretty standard for sleeve revisions.
shoop
on 10/11/11 5:28 am
 Thank you for that info...do you know why you are not able to lose weight?
edelu
on 10/11/11 5:38 am, edited 10/11/11 5:38 am - los angeles, CA

not a clue.  No one has.  but as i said although weight loss can be slower with a revision I've never met anyone who lost as little as me in 10 weeks.  Part of it may be that my starting weight was 188.  I've lost 8lbs since surgery and I'm doing everything right so all i can do is wait which isn't a problem, since i can't get rid of the sleeve.  This too shall pass as they say.  I keep thinking it's not going in it will come off, so we shall see.  It's not as if I'm generally a slow loser.  i lost great with my band.  The sleeve though is easier to live with and if you read the posts here for the most part folks who have had revisions are pretty happy with their choice.
BuckeyeGirl
on 10/11/11 6:09 am - TN
Unless you particularly like having follow-up surgeries to fix your band, I'd go with the sleeve. The band often requires other surgeries to repair, replace, or remove the band. You may very well find yourself 3-4 more years down the road with a new problem that needs fixing.

I went from band to sleeve about 10 months ago. My first year with the band, I lost about 65 lbs. Then I started to have complications and spent the next 2 years gaining all that weight back. Since my sleeve, I've lost 115 lbs. Here are some recent photos I just posted if you are interested:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4459674/Size-10-Jeans-With-Pics-Of-Course/

For me the sleeve has been the hands down winner. I have consistent restriction and it works like I thought the band was supposed to...I can eat whether its morning or night, summer or winter, whether traveling by boat or plane. I always have restriction.

I have never vomited with my sleeve. I have never felt stuck with my sleeve. The lack of hunger has been a huge blessing. I really love my sleeve and I would do it all again. I would skip the band entirely had I known then what I know now.

I had my band removal and sleeve done in the same surgery, which is not always possible depending on if the band has caused too much damage to your stomach. I was in the hospital 2 nights and really felt like I needed both nights.

Recovery was not too bad. I used pain meds for probably a week or so (can't remember exactly) and I was notably tired for the first 3 weeks, but after that, it has been smooth sailing.

Best of luck,
Lindsey

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/11 6:58 am
GO FOR THE SLEEVE!! THIS WILL BE THE BEST LIFE CHANGING DECISION YOU COULD EVER MAKE!!!
Meme10
on 10/11/11 9:02 am - TX
I had revision surgery on the 4th. The sleeve is a little bit tougher than the band because they have to remove the band. I stayed two night because my band was covered in adhesions, but after I got out I have only had two doses of Tylenol for pain. No regrets, except I chose getting a band in 2008 with poor results.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views