Hair Loss

bklyncat58
on 10/19/11 1:37 am - NJ
OMG I'm freaking out been out of surgery for only 6 days is that to soon to start seeing hair loss. I took my shower and noticed a tiny little bit of hair then when I brushed there was some there to. I'm just staring to drink my protein shakes post-op couldn;t deal with them before . did them pre-op all the time . HELP

emelar
on 10/19/11 1:57 am - TX
You can have 2 stages of hair loss.  The first is right after surgery and is from the shock of the anesthesia.  The second phase occurs months after - google telogen effluvium (think I'm spelling it right!) for more info.

All you can do is wait it out, get your protein and iron in, and take biotin (it'll give you great nails if nothing else).  In most cases, no one notices the hair loss but you!
Jacksonsgrandma
on 10/19/11 2:19 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 I have been taking "hair, skin and nails" for years because stress causes my hair to fall out.  It helps a LOT.  Right before my VSG, I found that Walgreens.com added another more potent form.  It contains 5,000 mcg per serving and I take it 3 times a day.  It's often buy one, get one free on Walgreens.com and shipping is free if the order is over $25-50 (can't remember which) but I order at least 6 bottles at a time because I intend to keep using it.  Downside is, finger and toe nails grow faster making manicures and pedicures more frequently needed.  Small price to pay for not going bald, in my opinion.

Ariana_Rose
on 10/19/11 2:19 am - NJ
VSG on 07/06/11 with
My hair is coming out like something else. I used to have super thick hair, couldn't get a hair tie around it 3 times, I had to force it - now when I put my hair up, I can get it around 4 times. Hopefully it will start to come back soon. I'm actually going to pick up some biotin after my class today - is there any particular brand that people like more than others?
(deactivated member)
on 10/19/11 4:23 am
Not to freak you out more but I just hit my actual hair loss moment about 3 weeks ago. Everyday entire full length strands (multiple, like 20-30) are easily removed from my hair after it is washed and dried.

It's pathetic! Because I have always had a very thick head of hair, mine is being noticed by everyone however I'm not bald I just now have very fine and thin hair.

I don't know if there is a correlation but I had stopped taking my biotin because the form it came in (couldn't find chewable) was difficult to take. This far in, I've been able to take it in it's regular form so I'm starting it again. No way to know if stopping it made any difference as it started about 2 1/2 months post op which seems to be the normal time frame.

Everyone says it grows back! Take your vitamins, eat your protien and hopefully it won't be too bad.
lanunes
on 10/19/11 5:51 am - CA
 I started losing my hair right after surgery =(  I started taking Biotin a couple of years ago because I shed a lot of hair due to hormone issues. It literally stopped the shedding (even my hair dresser noticed). I guess the anesthesia was too much stress on my body to combat it. I even upped my dose right after surgery, didn't help. I just increased it again so I will see if that has any effect on it. 
      Leslie Nunes              
onehappygirl
on 10/19/11 7:56 am
I think it is a matter of grit your teeth and bare it. I bought some real cute berets to get me thru. Now I just don't care anymore. I started losing at 3 months. Shedding stopped at about 6.5 months. I am at the start of 9 months and none has grown back yet. I have bald spots. I tried everything. I have little frizzies around my face coming in, but nothing on my bald spots. I read one account of a VSGer about 3 years out and she said hers never grew back in at all. OMG, I pray I am not one of those. It is very very difficult for many of us.
b_scene33
on 10/19/11 9:20 am - OH
I havent lost yet, infact with allthe vitamins i take,myheair has become way thicker andi lose less than before. Infact when I came out of surgery, I was hairier---I dont know if it's possible,  but my arm hair,leg,facial hair was all longer, it was kinda gross to look @my hairy hairy arms!

From what I can tell every one goes through it, but i havent seen anyone where it ruined their lives! just focus on taking care of your self!Good luck!!!

♫♫♪♪♫Brie♫♫♪♪♫
*H:5'4" HW: 242 SW: 218.8 CW:142  GW:142*
Surgery Date 9/07/11

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views