2 hours in the ER and WTF!?!?!?!?

amanda D.
on 10/21/11 12:27 am - Stayton, OR
So the past couple of days my biggest incision has really been bothering me.  Last night my husband and I were doing measurments and my waist measured like 5in. bigger than normal..I got pissy and said "are you even DOING it right?!?!?WTF?!"  I look down and notice that my right side is completely swollen, start feeling around and feel a really hot and tender spot on my belly.  My husband said that it looked like I have a rash.

Well 2 hours later with 2 scripts in hand, I leave the Emergency Department, and I have a staph infection. WTF!?!?!  My surgeon lives 6 hours away so I called him when I left.  He called me back and poor dude!! You could tell in his voice that he was really upset about it.  I told him, "well, **** happens!! At least it's not a hernia cuz to be honest, that would suck a lot more than this" Thankfully he laughed, and said "true".

Now I have to go to my primary doc and have the wound cut open and "packed" (whatever that means) and he said i should feel right as rain after. *crossing fingers he's right*  cuz sonofagun does it hurt!!!

wls2011
on 10/21/11 12:33 am - Ballston Lake, NY
Yikes! Sorry to hear that...but luckily you caught it early and it did not spread. I had rashes around the incisions but they were from the steri-strips that I apparently was allergic to and never knew it...but a staph infection is serious. Glad you went to the ER.
Hope you feel better real soon. 

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

Rekeca
on 10/21/11 12:34 am - NC
I am sorry that happened to you. At least you know what it is and will be on the road to recovery.

Paige V.
on 10/21/11 12:39 am - Gainesville, FL
packed just means they will put gauze in or these iodiform strips in the wound (depending on the size) and cover it...you will probably be changing the dressings once a day.....best of luck. Just take good care of it and it wont be that big a deal...though, warning you might be suprised at how big the wound will be when they cut it open =/

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

amanda D.
on 10/21/11 12:40 am, edited 10/21/11 12:40 am - Stayton, OR
Thanks guys

amanda D.
on 10/21/11 12:42 am - Stayton, OR

*edit*
Bleh cut off my other part of the post!!

I should mention that i apologized to my husband for snapping at him and being such a ***** 

There was more to it, but Im so exhausted that I don't remember ahahah

Jan G.
on 10/21/11 2:41 am - WI
Gosh so sorry you are going through all this. Again EDUCATION needs to be written down. Did you call them when you first noticed changes?

And if you are not feeling well, there is wound care  by a home care RN or wound care clinics. But it may be a good idea for your own PCP to see it and document it.  Staph infections CAN be serious..so make sure you get fluids and keep it dry and sterile best you can.

God bless your hubby.. what a helpful guy. Again EDUCATION so you and he are prepared. I could not stress that enough in my summary review. The nurse in hosp know signs of problems but most of us do not.

Gentle hugs my dear.. and continued good healing~ Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

amanda D.
on 10/21/11 2:48 am - Stayton, OR
Just think it is really odd....My incision sites have been closed up for almost 2 weeks now.  I start at the Gym wednesday and by yesterday it was all outta hand with infection =0(  Im sure the two have nothing to do with one another.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 287 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 338 views