started pureed and having trouble

rbccbrmfld
on 10/21/11 2:22 am
I started on pureed two days ago and can barely get 2 ounces down at a time.  Thats if I am lucky.  Is this normal?
DrHollywood
on 10/21/11 2:30 am, edited 10/21/11 2:33 am - Harbor City, CA
Here is what I ate in the beginning or my food plan

first 2 weeks: Clear Liquids Only ( isopure, SF pops, Broth but mostly water and isopure)

3 weeks add 2 protein shakes to my clear liquid diet

4 week I started puree by introducing one food at a time and after a few days I pureed multiple foods

In my puree stage I made it very thin ( as if I could drink it through a straw,,but did not use a straw...we cant)

I think doctors are telling their patients to eat toooo early..  it doesnt make it right or wrong just different and some cannot tolerate it, like you.  They say, if we cannot tolerate something put
it down and revisit it a week later or so.

I stuck toDr. Cirangle ( not even my dr)  plan in the beginning until now today i do things different and that is ok. 

check out the link.   www.sleeveguide.com/uploads/1/7/9/4/1794785/dietguidevged420 06feb.pdf

When did you have surgery?  And yes when your ready for the puree stage 2 oz is normal.  If it is too much do an oz or make sure you are taking 30 minutes AT LEAST to eat your 2 oz.  Remember they say to eat slow....  This might help.  

✿ L♦O♦V♦E ✿ & ✿ P♦E♦A♦C♦E ✿ღ ✿ & F♦R♦I♦E♦N♦D♦S ✿ ღ
                         "Keeping The Faith!"   "Slim by Summer!"
                                    HW: 250 - SW: 241  - CW: 154.7GW: 140  

1 month: 22 pounds (2162 months: 12.2 pounds (203.8)  3 months: 10.6  (193.2)
 4 months: 9.7  lbs  (183.5)  5 Months:   6  pounds  (177.5 ) 
6 Months: 12 lbs ( 165.5)
 7 Months 7.1 lbs (158.4) 8 Months +1.6 pounds(159.8) 9 Months 2.7 pounds (157.1)
10 Months 8.1 lbs (149) 11 months +2 pounds ( 151) 1 YEAR!!!  2.6 pounds (148.4)

Hit "One-derland April 9th, 2011   (199.7)

"Half-Way Goal" April 25th, 2011 (194.8)

"Happyland 80`s" May 14, 2011  (189.6)

"Groovyland 70`s"  June 20th 2011  (179.9)

" HippyDippyland 60's"  July 16th  (169.8)

" CQQL-land 50`s"  August 25th ( 159.8)

"Normal BMI"   24.8  October 21st, 2011 (154.5) I am 5`6

"AWESOME-land 40's" Dec 1st 2011  (149)

"Century Club 100 Pounds"  Dec 1st 2011  (149)

' ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!"

Two Year Surgiversary!!!"

Ms. Poker Face
on 10/21/11 2:32 am
That's pretty normal.  In fact, that's a lot better than what I got down when I started purees.  Go slow.  There's no rush.  You should keep supplementing with protein shakes and other liquid forms of protein for awhile.  I could only eat about 3 baby spoonfuls at a time for the first few days of purees.

When was your surgery?  I ask because I wasn't allowed pureed until 2 weeks post op.  Others start sooner, others later.  I found it beneficial to wait at least those two weeks because my tummy was still healing!  No need to force things.

Good luck.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

rbccbrmfld
on 10/21/11 2:43 am
I am just past 2 weeks post op.  Wednesday was 2 weeks. I haven't had any problems with full liquids the two weeks prior. So far I have tried refried beans, mashed pot, and ricotta bake. I had yogurt after week one and can eat 3-4 ounces.  Should I only do one of my meals as a puree and then do the others as liquids. Or just keep with what I am doing just less.  Just makes it harder to get all protein in.  Dr wants 60 grams and I am finally getting up to around 40.  It is hard to get there most days I only eat 4 times cant get any more in.
Ms. Poker Face
on 10/21/11 3:08 am
Because you can eat so little, you'll have to keep doing protein shakes most likely.  As for purees, I would keep doing what you are doing just less. 

I probably didn't reach 60g protein daily until 4 weeks post op.  Each day should get a little better.  It's a balancing act so you'll just have to do trial and error for awhile.   I still do one protein shake per day, otherwise I wouldn't meet my protein goals either.  I was hoping to kick those shakes to the curb once I started food, but I just can't eat enough.  Which I'm happy about!!

My advice is not to eat until you are stuffed.  That probably means less than 2 oz right now.  Trust me, moving forward you will be happy you started really slow.  As your swelling goes down, you'll be able to eat more.

Try greek yogurt if you haven't.  It's got lots more protein than regular yogurt.  if you get the plain, add something to spice it up, like splenda and spices.  I used cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, lemon extract, coconut extract.  Others have added a little bit of sf ff dry pudding mix as well.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/11 3:11 am
2 oz is very normal and even just about 6 weeks out i barely eat more than that unless it is very liquidy. Don't push the limits, your tummy is still healing and it is said many times on this board, under eat your sleeve capacity for the best results. Take this time to learn your body's signals of when you have had enough. For some it is burping, others it is a slight tight feeling, mine is extra saliva for some reason I cannot fathom.

Good luck and eat slowly!
rbccbrmfld
on 10/22/11 2:26 am
Thanks for the information and support.  This site is so awesome.  I actually found out what it was like to anger my sleeve.  Unfortunately.  I was even able to handle some mushy chicken but peanut butter did me in.  Not sure if it was because I ate it to fast or if my sleeve didn't like it.  I was in the bathroom 20 minutes later and lost a bit of it not all just some.  So will post pone that one for a while.  Other than that keeping it at 2 ounces and doing better. Just have one more question can I drink more than 4 ounces at a time on the protein shakes or do I need to keep them at 4 ounces at a time.  That is what I have been doing but with my water I drink more than 4 ounces at a time.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 293 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views