TOO SKINNY?!?!

redheadtiff
on 10/20/11 1:01 pm - Waxhaw, NC
Ok, I am fairly self-assured at this point but I just want to hear from others if you've had the same feedback from people.
I am 3 lbs from goal. I am 5'5 and now 133lbs. Several people I work with have asked me if "I'm done" and I've said a few more and I'll be at goal. They have almost immediately said...you look awesome, but you need to be done.
I am guessing it just may stem from the fact that they are not used to seeing me as a thin person that, in their heads, I am too thin for what their brains think I SHOULD look like....but seriously....I just sort of laugh it off and move on but I may decide to stop at 125. I have been as low as 119, which was NOT a healthy weight for me and I KNOW that. But, I would like to hear from others on how you respond to these people.
Just FYI, I am following my plan and walking and jogging about 4-5 days a week now. I'm hitting between 70-100 grams of protein a day and am getting between 600-800 calories a day. I feel great, I have energy, I'm not lethargic, etc...so I'm NOT starving myself....I'm just not fat anymore!!!
Sorry, I guess I'm venting while asking for feedback!
Thanks,

Tiff
I am a work of art in progress

Lisa D.
on 10/20/11 1:08 pm - New Orleans, LA
I am right there with you.  5'5" and 135.  My goal was 136, but I want to get to 130 to give me a few pounds leeway. I have people telling me that I look great at this weight and I tell them that the extra pounds lost are just for a little rebound room during maintenance.  Also, I am scheduled for arms and tummy plastics on Jan 6th and that will be a few more pounds off.  I LOVE my sleeve!  I feel great, too.  Life is GOOD! 
I am not big boned!  Bones don't jiggle!         

USAF Wife
on 10/20/11 1:17 pm
Try hearing it when you're 5'2" and weighing 175lbs LOL. Everyone thought I needed to stop there. My maintenance weight is 125-130lbs, and yep, I allow a 5lb bounce because that's what works for me.

Anyways, I just nod and say "well at 270lbs, no one said I was too fat" and I walk away. I'm not very tolerant of unsolicited comments about what people think I should weigh. I also just got to the point of saying " I'm done losing, it's toning and just redistribution at this point." No one needed to know I only had 5-10lbs to go, all they needed to know is that I was fine. I didn't ever give people a number or give them more to comment on. Less information for them to process and ponder equaled less questions and comments.

It was different when my family and husband commented, I have to live with my husband, and my family is about 800 miles so all they had to go off of was FB pics. Plus, they hadn't seen me at 125lbs for nearly 15-18 years so it was pretty awkward since the "person" they were seeing in photos was no where close to the person they knew for so long.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Krazydoglady
on 10/20/11 1:29 pm, edited 10/20/11 1:30 pm - FL
I was asked not long ago by someone I don't know all that well that, "You are getting so skinny, when do you intend to stop?"   I shot her a look and answered,  "I'm shooting for disembodied, floating head."  The woman  I was talking to just kind of started to sputter and then walked away. 

When someone asks me a personal, intrusive question or is just plain stupid I tend to default to sarcasm.  I have a fairly low tolerance for cattiness  and douchebaggery, and I work in an industry where you get eaten alive if you don't stand up for yourself and come back strong when someone takes a pot shot. 

My mother would say I'm wrong to even dignify it with an answer, and I would agree with her if people had manners in 2011. Unfortunately, they don't.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

B. Bap
on 10/20/11 1:32 pm
I am fairly new in this VSG journey of mine. But I personal goal is 165-175.

That still leaves me in an obese range. I am 5'6" If I by my PCP standard I am "healthy" then that is were I plan to stop.  But I will continue until my PCP deems me "healthy", I just hope that is not too far below that weight. At, 175 that is around a 120lb weight loss from my highest weight. Thankfully, I did not have major health issues at 292.

Actually, it is more about clothing size so I do not want to be smaller than a tight fit size 10. I loved being a curvier small-plus (I can't think of other way to describe it).

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/11 2:04 pm
This used to happen to me all the time when I reached goal at 105 lbs.  I am 5'1" and this is a great weight for me.  The people don't say this anymore as they are now used to me looking like this.  It just takes people a little while to adjust to the new you.  it even takes you about a year or two to really adjust to this new reality.  I would just tell them that you are working with a doctor and a nutritionist and you are following their orders.  I would thank them for caring and move on.  They usually do not mean any harm.
redheadtiff
on 10/20/11 2:31 pm - Waxhaw, NC
Thanks everyone...I really appreciate the feedback. It just freaks me out and makes me think....do I look emaciated or something?! I mean, holy **** some people really are just socially retarded....Wow, you look really skinny now! What the hell is THAT supposed to mean?! LOL
Oh well, you've reinforced some of my own thoughts about just letting it roll off and moving on, and that they will soon get used to the new version of me!
Thanks again!
I am a work of art in progress

Sunshine00015
on 10/20/11 9:22 pm
Im 5.3 and 165 now and already been told to not lose anymore weight.....I think ideally i should be around 115 or so but my personal goal is 135 and that's what I'm trying for weather they like it or not.lol
Kimmes
on 10/20/11 9:46 pm, edited 10/20/11 9:47 pm
Yep - I think people cannot wrap their brain around the new thinner us - they still go back to the old you who started this journey - they see how far you have come and think you look amazing now. I had 2 people tell me just yesterday that I am to skinny and need to stop losing weight.

I am 5'8" weigh 157.2 today and my goal is 155 - I am almost there but thinking about revising it to 148 or so. My BMI is currently 24.0 - so I am on the high end of "normal" when I tell people that that roll their eyes and say if you lose any more you will look "sick" - gee thanks!

Personally I think our bodies will decide where they wants to go and when it will stop and find a happy place to remain.

Health and happiness to a all - isn't that what this is about?

Had VSG on Jan 6, 2011 with Dr. Jaime Ramos-Kelly
Start weight 239.8/Su
rgery Day 217.6/goal:155/Current Weight 144.0  I made it -Goal in less than 10 months

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

BuckeyeGirl
on 10/20/11 11:50 pm - TN
I get similar comments (though not too frequently) and I'm still 7 lbs above a normal BMI, 11 lbs above my first goal, and probably 22 lbs above my secret goal.

A coworker told me the other day that I may be "taking this too far." She is very lean and asked me to guess what she weighs. She is about 2" shorter than me and turns out weighs like 45 lbs less than me! So, then I said, "okay, well I'm in the 180s." And she appeared shocked and said, "oh..."

lol, so I guess she thought I weighed less than I actually do.

Anyway, I've heard lots of people get this. I think everyone else is right, that they are just used to seeing us bigger or something. If your doctor isn't concerned and you are happy with the way you look, then I wouldn't worry about what others have to say.

Lindsey

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views