protien and carbs and calories

AMoody
on 10/23/11 5:43 am - Mayville, MI
VSG on 02/06/12
What are we supposed to be keeping our calories, carbs and protiens to? 
thanks
(deactivated member)
on 10/23/11 5:53 am
You will find every doc is different, but the majority for the losing phase recommend
600-800 cal a day
60-80 g protein
Under 40 g carbs

Your doc's plan could be different.
califsleevin
on 10/23/11 6:43 am, edited 10/22/11 6:46 pm - CA
As newsusan noted, every doc is different. The 6-800 calorie level is a common recommendation, but others go higher or tailor it for the patient's needs. My doc is non-specific on calories in the general case.

Somewhere around 60-80 g protein is common with every plan; some will go a little higher, particularly for men. I'm averaging about 1100 calories and 100g protein per day, which is working well for my activity and lean mass levels.

Some plans go the low-carb route of keeping under 40g per day while others don't. Those that aren't specifically low carb will want you to limit the simple carbs and sugars - basic good sense in limiting junk food and otherwise empty calories. If your doc isn't specific on it, do what makes sense to you and to them, or what has worked or not worked for you in the past. If you have tried Atkins type diets in the past and didn't find them workable, there's little reason to try that again on top of the sleeve, but if that style of diet has yielded some success for you, then it could be a useful addition, particularly if you have a lot to lose (like in the 50-60 BMI range or above.) For me, starting as a relative lightweight and being fairly active, not having the energy and activity restriction of the low carb diet more than makes up for any added or quicker weight loss from ketosis.

But whatever you do, remember the WLS mantra - protein first, protein first, protein first, and sip, sip, sip your water all the day long.

Good luck with it all,

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views