Six months out and still vomiting

Mom4Jazz
on 10/25/11 2:31 am
I can only eat 2 oz at a time at best...I'm over 6 months out. I couldn't eat an egg and one slice of bacon in one sitting. It is possible to make this work for you and not have it be too stressful.

Please consider measuring your food so you don't have that much in front of you - that has been my strategy to avoid overeating. I think this is the single biggest thing you could do to make yourself more comfortable.

How many meals are you eating? Can you have breakfast, a mid-morning snack, lunch, a mid-afternoon snack, dinner and an evening snack if you need to, making sure they're all healthy sleeve-friendly foods?

I make little Nuk baby bowls of things ahead to make things easy. I also eat things like cheese sticks, deli meats, even one serving of 14 oz almonds a day which are just grab and go.

I do add protein drinks, but have them like you have the soup so we're about even there.

Good luck!

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Irinek
on 10/25/11 2:33 am - MI
Sassy, it usually happens within 15 minutes after dinner.  This sounds gross but it seems I digest very slowly because the days food comes up also.  First is a few oz of saliva and then the food. Honestly I average around 600-800 cal a day.  I only have 8 more pounds to reach my goal of 155 but I'll be ok with 145 if that happens naturally.  I just will want to be able to stop losing and maintain.
vacationlover
on 10/25/11 3:08 am
One thing I learned from my NUT last time I was in....  She said that unless the soup is very thick (for example, chili with  the liquid drained off), I should avoid it.  Dense protein (like chicken) will fill a person up better.

At 6 months out, here are some of my sample meals:
- half an egg, one slice bacon, one link sausage
or
- 2 links sausage
or
- 2 ounces chicken, 1/8 cup veggies or fruit
or
- 2 ounces beef
or
- 2 ounces shrimp, 1/4 fruit

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

BriarRose
on 10/25/11 5:44 am
I eat small also. I drink a couple cups of coffee in the mornings, then come to work and have either my hard boiled egg or a serving of oatmeal. Then a couple hours later a snack around 10:30 am of a mini bel lo fat cheese (50 cal) then a couple hours later, lunch #1. (tuna salad with maybe half a serving of spcial K cracker chips) Then a couple hours later I eat lunch #2 --- the rest of the 2.5 oz of tuna with the second half of the chips..... I might also have a snack of raw vegies (right now I'm in to sliced mushrooms with a bit of lo cal dressing, or balsamic vinegar....) then a late dinner with my dd who works until about 7pm. I literally eat all day. And it's all planned.

It's just what works for me right now. And IF I do overeat, I can still barf. Doesn't happen often, but if it is just the WRONG texture -- especially chewy meats....Yep, it WILL come back at me. Lucky for me, I usually recognize the feeling before I finish dinner, and stop eating right away, even if I haven't eaten enough. I just let it hang out, and hope for the best, because putting anything else in there will not be a pretty sight !!!
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Melookingforward
on 10/25/11 7:04 am
I am only 6 weeks out so don't have the long term experience of some others.  But I wanted to make a suggestion.  My NUT suggested chewing (3) papaya enzyme tablets when you have that feeling something isn't going down quite right.  I carry a bottle with me all of the time as I have had the vomiting problem too. 

Best of luck with life! 
Marie Jensen *melookingforward*

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 177 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views