pre op and no smoking ..causing no weight loss???

shoop
on 10/30/11 11:03 am
 ok so i started pre op and quit smoking last wednesday...i have lost no weight...i know that when you quit smoking it is normal to gain weight so is it possible that they are cancelling each other out?? or am i completely failing already?
ruggie
on 10/30/11 11:11 am - Sacramento, CA
I'd relax - you've made two big changes, no huge changes! And it's been less than a week.  Give yourself more time.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/11 12:24 pm
Some of the toxins in cigarettes cause your metabolism to race during the cigarette and for up to one half hour after the cigarette is finished. Try not to put too much stress on yourself. Don't you have to be off cigarettes for about 3 or 4 months before you can have the surgery? Myabe you have some time to make the changes one after the other.

When I stopped smoking I gained a few pounds  - maybe 5 or 10 at the most- but have since taken it off and met my surgeon's weightloss goal. If you have some time before surgery, I'd work on the smoking for a few weeks (or months) and then move on to the weightloss. Stopping smoking is the single most beneficial thing you can do for your health. Give yourself a huge pat on the back for taking the steps to be a healthier you. Soon you will be smoke free, thin and healthy!
Be strong and be kind to yourself.

shoop
on 10/30/11 12:25 pm
 my surgeons requirement was at least a week of no smoking and a week of the pre op diet ...thanks for the info
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views