Antacid Medication help

Pkrplyr777
on 11/8/11 8:45 pm - CT
I've been taking Prilosec OTC once a day since 2 weeks out from surgery. After the prescription medication were gone.

They were working fine till now.

Now they dont seem to keep the acid under control like they used to.

Any suggestions for a different type?
Are these addictive?
Can you take one in the morning and one at night?
Why do they give you a 14 day dose?

Will I have to take acid medications forever do you think?

Thanks for any advice, knowledge and help you can share.
Donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
shellemac
on 11/8/11 10:07 pm
I have terrrible GERD.  I've tried about everything.

First, you can take the prilosec OTC twice a day (20mg in morning and 20mg at night).  If that doesn't help you may need a different ppi. (OTC is Zegerid, prescription is nexium, dexilant, protonix).

My acid is so bad that my GI doctor has me on 3 different meds to help with my GERD.  I take Dexilant (a PPI), Zantac (H2 blocker) and carafate.  It is still not 100% gone, but I'm going in for an upper GI scope next week.  The surgeon and the GI doctor feel that things will get better as my body adjusts to the surgery.  I hope so!  If it doesn't it just gets to a point that they will have to find the right meds for me.  I know I will be on something the rest of my life, because I have always had GERD in adulthood.

I make sure that I get plenty of calcium citrate to compensate for the possible lose of bone density from these meds.

Let me know if you have any questions!

novascotiadawn
on 11/8/11 10:11 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hi Donna,
I take 20 mg X2 a day of Pariet!!!!. I tried a lot of different meds before this was the Gawd send!..Almost 3.5 years out and still needing to take it. But, I like my spicy foods!

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

shellemac
on 11/8/11 10:27 pm
FYI--Pariet is Aciphex in the US.  I think it is the only one I haven't tried!  Good to know!
George B.
on 11/9/11 12:58 am - Miami, FL
Prilosec didn't do the job for my wife post-op.
She's had to remain on Nexium and is doing well with it.

Pkrplyr777
on 11/9/11 11:20 am - CT
sounds like I need to research some of the different medications out there so I can make an educated decision.
thanks all
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 309 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 356 views