Thanksgiving Frustration

pedirn06
on 11/18/11 2:15 pm
VSG on 01/26/12
Maybe just bake what works for you and take it without making a big deal out of it.  Chances are, they may like it.  If not, freeze what is left in small containers for yourself for later.
kimbethin
on 11/18/11 2:58 pm - CA
I agree with Frisco.  I almost live on turkey.  You can eat a little bit of that.  There are always veggies at Thanksgiving.  You won't have room for more than a few bites of the one that seems healthiest to you.  You can bring your corn pudding, but just bring a tiny container for yourself.  Don't try to change others on a holiday.  They may follow your example later when they see how successful you are.  Just keep things light and enjoy your day.  Don't get caught up in the drama.  You can get through this.  It's only one day.  I made a promise to myself when I had my surgery to make this work in the real world.  I don't want to live in a bubble.  Maybe by next year they will all be following you and eating lighter.  I love the holidays, even when my family make me crazy.  I'm so Thankful to have had the sleeve free of complications and to be 70 pounds less than last year.  You really do have control of the portions and which dishes you eat.  I know you can make the best of it.  In my family it's so chaotic during these meals that nobody will even notice how much I eat or don't eat.  I suspect yours will be the same.  Keep talking to us when it gets to you.  We'll all get through the holidays together.
putting one foot in front of the other...        
joeswife
on 11/18/11 10:02 pm - CA
Don't make a big deal about it. WLS was your choice. The way I look at it, when I cook for my family I am a lot more health conscious on a daily basis. But for a holiday dinner I am making tradition, that's what they want and it's only 1 day. I am making something that is friendly for me and if they choose to have some great, if not it's fine.

Give thanks for being sleeved and on to a new and healthy lifestyle. By next year I am sure some will be praising you and maybe even asking what is it again you had done? And maybe some of them will be interested if they need it.

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/11 10:26 pm - Woodbridge, VA
I agree with the others that you're maybe getting too worked up about this I know it's frustrating when you feel your family is not being supportive, but you're a big girl. You're still very early out, so how much can youreally eat? Have some turkey (moist dark meat or add a little gravy if it's too dry), have some veggies, and maybe, if there's any room left in your tummy, have a bite of the inside of a piece of pumpkin pie. And if you really want to bring your own side dish, then do so. Who cares if no one else ends up eating any?
mandyc1975
on 11/21/11 6:03 am - Richardson, TX
VSG on 09/20/11 with
Well my Thanksgiving just got cancelled because everyone lives in different places and now not one of them are showing up! So, I am cooking all the food I bought, and I'm going to give it to homeless people.

Anyway, before all that happened, I planned on cooking just like I do every year plus making a SF dessert so I wouldn't be tempted by the high calorie desserts. I was going to limit myself to mostly turkey and then a bite or 2 of stuffing and green bean casserole and my sugar free dessert.

The way I see it, I will eat my protien and stay away from the most unhealthy things but if I want a bite of something, I am going to have it (1 bite during my meal. I will not graze all day long).

Thanksgiving is only once a year and when I think about all the food I piled up on my plate last year and even went back for seconds and who knows how many rolls I ate (no bread this year), I will not feel guilty about a bite of something that's not on my plan one day a year (or 2 if you count Christmas).

So, what should you do?

Whatever you are comfortable with. If you are more comfortable bringing your own healthier food, then do it. Your food choice is about you, not about them. They may or may not understand that so take your own food to eat and don't make a big deal about it and hopefully they won't either.

Good Luck!
Do not ask God to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

9/4 (pro op) 299 lbs - 9/20 (surgery day) 285 lbs - 10/4 268 lbs - 11/7 251 lbs- 12/8 239 lbs - 1/9 222 lbs - 2/7 214 lbs - 3/3 202 lbs - 3/19 194 lbs ... 9/20/2012 - 142 lbs
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 178 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views