Thanksgiving Frustration

amanda D.
on 11/18/11 11:13 am - Stayton, OR
Just a few days away, and as usual with my flaky family the plans have changed 7 times in the past 3 days.  Now I've been told not to bring any dishes since I am choosing to make them "healthy" (example: Corn pudding made w. greek yogurt, egg whites instead of sour cream, cream cheese) That my grandmother and grandfather are handling everything (80+years old) that if I wanted to bring anything a nice center piece would be fine.

I get that none of them would want to eat healthier, but **** man.  I made the decision to have this surgery (I am now 2 months out) and have completely changed my eating habits. And I thought my family was supportive of my decision, so,  Why the hell would I want to go with the "norm" of every year eating whatever I want for the holidays.  That is what got me to 300+ pounds, having no control over myself and just going with the flow.

I really hate the holidays......

Pura Vida
on 11/18/11 11:18 am - Costa Rica
Just bring the centerpiece and smile and try to enjoy your family. Stick to eating just protein, there will certainly be a turkey there. I remember the holidays when I was less than one year out SUCKED because I wanted to be part of the food fun and I just couldn't, it does get better when you are farther out.

Try not to talk about the surgery at Thanksgiving, they don't want to hear it.

Good Luck,

heather

acbbrown
on 11/18/11 11:18 am - Granada Hills, CA
When i go see family, I bring my own food in a little cooler. They can get offended but I have control issues and need to know what the heck im eating, and they choose to cook and eat unhealthy, so i don't even go there.

i have every plan on making and eating my own thanksgiving food and i could care less if anyone thinks im weird.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

jengo1971
on 11/18/11 10:26 pm
Hi Allison.  I just have to say that I have no doubt you will be a complete VSG success!  I love your responses and "no nonsense" manner.    ~Jennifer

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
abrown8434
on 11/20/11 10:08 am - VA
I'm so glad you said that because I figured they woulld think I was nuts (although I could care less what they think). I feel weird going places where I am not sure if there is enough healthy food that I can eat. I bring a protein shake but now that I am able to eat I like to bring food w/me and then all bases are covered.

At least I know I am not alone.

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

hollykim
on 11/18/11 11:22 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
So who died and made them God? They can't tell you not to bring any dishes! You are a grown woman,prepare what you want to eat and take it. if they don't want to eat it,fine,you will have lftovers to bring home,but you won't be stuck there in a very dangerous situation with nothing healthy you can eat. Don't let them sabotage you in this way.
hang tough!

frisco
on 11/18/11 11:40 am

It's really not as big a deal as your making it.......

8 weeks out.....you shouldn't and really can't eat that much.

A little turkey...with a little gravy or soup for lube....mashed up really good....maybe a bite of really soft veggie.

Total 1oz. of food maybe 2 times several hours apart.....your all good....no damage done.....bring a protein drink or a yogurt for dessert.....

On point.....Thanksgiving done..... Christmas next.....repeat......maybe 1.5oz. by than....

You/we have to adapt...... You/we got to 300lbs......You/we are doing something about it....You/we shouldn't expect others to change.

After surgery.....It's all you.... you control the outcome......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

lucy2e
on 11/18/11 10:16 pm - Laurel, MD
 I was thinking the same thing.  

I don't expect anyone around me to adapt - when I go somewhere, I just make the best choices available to me (in this case, turkey with gravy lube like you said) and enjoy the company!

The key to me is making the changes to our total life - not just our eating.  Making the best out of every situation and stay positive really helps keep us on track and make the journey that much more enjoyable!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  I hope everyone has safe journeys, wonderful family/friend time, and a delicious and healthy holiday!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Krazydoglady
on 11/18/11 11:43 am - FL
Don't ask, tell.  Tell them you're bringing food appropriate for your eating plan. You're more than happy to share, but it's not open to debate. 

It's easier to get forgiven than permission.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

edelu
on 11/18/11 12:02 pm - los angeles, CA
**** 'em I mean that with the utmost respect.  they can't tell you what to bring.  bring what you want and bring home what's left. you're not gonna be able to eat much but you should not feel uncomfortable if you don't want to put something butter soaked in your mouth.  bring something you can eat with the turkey, it will do two things.  One I've already stated and the other will be to show your family (who your probably going to have holidays with in infinity), that you need to be accommodated if they include you. Would they tell a diabetic, no one is gonna eat the sugar free pie so don't bring it? I mean what they are saying is no one will eat what you are making which is fine and maybe true, but they are also saying oh you can just suck it up and eat what everyone else does.  They'll learn. Don't hate the holidays.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 98 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views