one year,.. and a few days.. long w/pics

sianabob
on 11/20/11 3:20 am
I have not been as active on here as I once was, I have grown wings and began living my life away from the computer.. I had this all typed up but I forgot to post it :)

November 18 2010 changed my life drastically.. Internally, outwardly, mentally… changed friendships… changed my views.. Changed just darn near everything. I started my weight loss journey February 2010, I got onto the wait list September 2010… I was called for surgery October 21st 2010, starting my liquid diet immediately for a surgery date of October 28th 2010.. The 27th I went in for my appointment with the surgeon, asked him if he could take my gallbladder out at the same time.. NO.. had to have the gallbladder out first. Sleeve surgery was changed to a gallbladder surgery, with a new date of November 18th set for my VSG.  I started at 241 pounds.. On what I know now was a very small framed 5’3" person.. My goal I was working towards was 136, a few pounds under the highest bracket of healthy weight for my height.. I remember feeling like I was NEVER going to make it into the next “ten pound bracket" let alone all the way down to 136. Never in my adult life had I been under 150 (most of it was 200+), I spent most of my high school life in the 140’s so I CERTIANLY thought I was out of my mind even imagining being any smaller. I broke into the 100 something days after I hit 2 months.. 50% of my (original) excess weight was lost by Feb 23rd. I made it to what I call my health goal of 136 August 21st 2011, 9 months out. At that time I reevaluated and set a vanity goal of 125 which was made October 12… I cannot imagine what I would have said pre op if someone would have told me I would weigh 125.. I would have laughed them out of the room… however I would choke on my laugh if I was told I would actually move into maintenance at 120.. I have lost more than half of myself! I am very content here at 120, I know I can move lower if I wanted to but I don’t want to, I have to be mindful of keeping my calories up to ensure I stop. I went from size 20/22 to a size 3… 2x/3x tops to a S/M.. Shoe size 8 to a 6.5/7.. Ring size 8 to a 5.5… Ice cream and brownies to cheese cubes and jerky. When I started my journey I had never met anyone that had the VSG, I remember being at the support groups being the either the only sleever, or one of maybe 2-3, now that has greatly changed.. I remember feeling LOST because I didn’t have anyone that I could go to and ask a random question to or advice.. I lived a lot of days on  here on OH checking in and posting daily.. multiple times at that.. I ended up struggling with my diet A LOT early on. I was not one that was able to keep up the protein shakes for a long amount of time.. I was proud for making it as long as I did, I should have choked them down though. I never want to tell anyone to make the mistakes I did early on, but I know the reason why the mistakes that I did make didn’t hinder my weight loss was because of the fact that pre op the reason I was FAT was portions, and uncontrollable eating habits.. I ate too much of allllll the wrong things.. I eventually learned that on the OCCASIONAL basis it was ok for ME to treat myself.. NOT daily, not even weekly, but the FEW bites of some treat was not going to ruin what I had worked so hard for, and in some cases it kept me sane.. I crave chocolate and salt when I am on my cycle.. Eating a few crackers to satisfy that craving was better than grazing all day on cheese or other WLS friendly foods to keep my mind off that cracker. Personally I have no desire for soda, I know that is a struggle for a lot of people, I let coffee back in at 9 months once I had hit my original goal. Pasta is a very VERY occasional part of my diet, I find it to sit uncomfortably, I have found if it doesn’t sit right I just don’t even want to bother… Pre op I was a potato, rice, hominy, noodle… CARB person.. I have absolutely no problem with these items. I have had rice/potato/noodles as many times in the last year that pre op I would have had in less than a week. I do not feel deprived, I have not had my stomach growl in a year now, that allows me to do what I need to do to be successful if I don’t have monster growling in my tummy! I still keep my protein first, and my capacity is still 2-3 ounces of dense protein… slider food such as salad is about 4-5 ounces.. I don’t measure my food anymore, I know how to eye ball it depending on what it is. Relationships have either grown or ended.. There are some friends that apparently had me in their “fat friend" slot, when I was no longer able to fill the position there wasn’t any where to put me. I have had people refuse to eat with me since they felt self-conscious if they ate more than me. Heavier friends have expressed jealousy, Skinny friends don’t understand being fat but they understand being skinny and have never given me strife. My husband has loved me since high school.. So he has literally loved me through thick and thin, he is very supportive of all the new changes and all my random escapades. My weight loss has not had a negative reaction on our marriage in the slightest. I am happy to say I can do much more with my daughter.. Roller Skating would NEVER be something I would have done over weight… being afraid to fall down and not be able to get up lol.. Now that I will be keeping up with a toddler in just a matter of days I am oh SO thankful that I will be able to keep up! Some of my best NSV’s include: My wedding dress fit, then became too big, double crossing my legs, using a regular towel, collar bones, the ability to run, single digit pant sizes, shopping at any store that I want, loving myself again, seeing an ex’s jaw drop, bubble baths, curling up in a recliner, thighs not touching, OH GOODNESS there are SO many.. Let me close with this: I LOVE my sleeve, I LOVE my new life, I love myself again.. I am so Thankful for a gift that can give so much.. I am thankful that it was free to me, and the best thing I can do to repay such an awesome gift is to do as best I can and to succeed permanently.. I will never be fat again, and I know if I was to ever struggle I would be able to fall back on my sleeve to help me! I keep my fat self posted right there on the fridge.. So on the days I ever have an issue I can look at my old self and remember EXACTLY why I don’t want to ever go back. This last year has been an amazing adventure, learning a lot about myself, other people, and the future.. I learned things about food I never knew whether it was personal or just facts. Things that I urge people to do pre op is measure yourself, I would have LOVED to know how many inches I lost, find a protien that you like no matter the cost because that would have made my journey MUCH easier, and seek a therepist even if you dont think you need it.. just for a couple sessions.. I didnt think I needed it until I went and it helped alot with underlying food issues. and most of all.. ENJOY THE RIDE!

Here I am on my surgerversary:

I am SOOO happy to have my life back!

Marie M.
on 11/20/11 3:31 am - PA
You look AMAZING and are a true inspiration!  Congrats!! 

Age: 50    Ht: 5' 3.5"    SW: 261   BMI: 45.5    CW: 119.4   BMI: 20.8   Goal in 9.5 months   (23.6  lbs below goal)   Total lost:  141.6 lbs   Inches lost:  84.25"
  Month one: 22.2 lbs;  Month 2:  17.4 lbs;   Month 3: 11 lbs;  Month 4: 13 lbs;  Month 5: 11.4 lbs;  Month 6: 9.2 lbs;   Month 7: 13.2 lbs;  Month 8: 9 lbs;  Month 9: 10.2 lbs;   Month 10:  3.6 lbs:   Month 11:   7.6 lbs   Month 12:  5.8 lbs                                    

kreynold
on 11/20/11 4:19 am - IL
You look so awesome! Hope I look like this a year out! Congrats!
sianabob
on 11/20/11 11:05 am
Thank you :)

sparklinfairy5
on 11/20/11 3:51 am - Tarzana, CA
Thank you so much for sharing. I just had my sleeve and stories like this keep me going. You look amazing. Congrats on your wonderful success!
sianabob

tillmadd
on 11/20/11 4:05 am - WI
wow..you look great and your story is very inspiring...thanks for sharing!
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

sianabob

Ms. Poker Face
on 11/20/11 4:16 am
 Whoot!!  Congrats!  You look great and your story is an inspiration!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

sianabob
on 11/20/11 11:06 am
Thank you!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views