Has anyone here from Ontario, Canada had vsg?

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/11 11:49 pm - Brampton, Canada
Hey there, I had the sleeve done last Nov  By Dr. Lindsay. He also works with Dr. Starr. I had no problem getting the VSG done last year and two of my friends got it done as well around the same time. But I have heard since then they have become a litle more strict as to who should get it. So talk to your doctor about it first.

They dont talk about the VSG at the seminars because to be frank many of the nurses dont even know much about it. The operation with respect to weight loss is still new. (6-10 years).

Good luck
kimberkim
on 11/22/11 11:59 pm - Stouffville, Canada
Thank you so much for replying! I hope that the doctor will find me a suitable candidate for the vsg.

Thank everyone for your responses!
(deactivated member)
on 11/25/11 11:08 am - Canada
I'm in Toronto, had my VSG in July by Dr. Paul Sullivan (St. Joseph's Health Centre, pre-op program and follow ups are at Humber River Regional Hospital).  VSG is definitely covered by OHIP.

Dr. Sullivan was incredible, everything went so smooth.  I think a lot of people go through Toronto Western as well, not sure who the surgeons are.

Best of luck with the process, it's worth every bit of waiting!
kimberkim
on 11/25/11 12:07 pm - Stouffville, Canada
OMG. Thank you so much! Your reply, and the others, are giving me hope. The VSG is defo the way i want go.

Can I ask how long your process was? Like, how long it took to meet the surgeon to meeting the nutrionists, to the surgery date? If I am approved etc, I will be doing surgery at St. Josephs as well.

As I said in my profile and this post, I thought I was supposed to meet with the surgeon this month, but I have a feeling now (when I think back) that I was sent 2 orientation invites. The first was via phone call, for early September. I got a second one in the mail dated for November something. I went to the September orientation. So I am guessing at this date, I may not get an appointment with the surgeon this month.   I just have to be patient and wait, I guess.
(deactivated member)
on 11/26/11 6:17 am - Canada
I hadn't heard about the VSG prior to the surgeon recommending it.  I only knew about the bypass.  I am very thankful that he recommended it because I like the idea of it being strictly a restrictive procedure, and no reworking of my digestive system.  Also, in my opinion, fewer side effects as a result of no "rewiring".  

I was very fortunate that the process for me was not that long at all, that was just sheer luck though.  I had a really bad fall this past February and went to see an orthopedic doctor at St. Joseph's.  When I went to see him, he said that my injury would have a better chance of improving (not that it would ever heal) but it would be less painful for me if I wasn't obese.  I mentioned to him that my family doctor was actually going to be submitting a referral for me on my next visit with him.  He then said, "let me see if I can help speed up the procees for you".  He called Dr. Sullivan, who's office is right next door to his so I guess they're quite friendly, and told him he had a young lady *****ally needs his help.  I had an appointment with the surgeon 1 week later.  Dr. Sullivan then sent the referral to Humber River so I could attend the orientation session and from there, I saw the dietician and social worker in April, they gave me the stamp of approval to move on for surgery.  I would have had surgery in June but I was just beginning a new position at work so it was booked for July.  I was very fortunate, the overall process from start to finish was about 5 months for me.  

I know some of the people I talked to at the orientation said they waited about a year or so to get to the orientation stage.  I'm not sure what the waits are like right now and I guess it somewhat depends on the surgeon/hospital.

Believe me, it will be worth every bit of waiting, best thing that has ever happened for me in terms of my overall well being.

Keep us posted!
kimberkim
on 11/30/11 9:08 am - Stouffville, Canada
Thank you all for your replies. And wow grrrrlblue! That's amazing story! I hope your injury from you fall has healed. I fall down on a weekly basis (I swear my feet should be bigger or something).

I decided to be pro-active and call the clinic to see what's up. The receptionist I spoke with was very helpful, looked up my records and emailed me appointments to see the Nutritionist, Surgery Class, Nurse and Social Worker. The only one pending is the surgeon. I am guessing after the nurse, nutrionist and social worker assess me, i'll get my surgeons appointment?

All my appointments are within the next 6 weeks, so very excited!

Thanks everyone!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 400 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 427 views