protein ideas?? Please??

amberk82
on 11/22/11 11:38 am
Okay....I know everyones diet is different, and mine as of now, consists of full liquids until Mon when I can start mushies (soooooooo looking forward to this!!!!) BUT, until then, I am having a really really hard time figuring out how to get protein in. I have tried my protein shakes from before surgery and I almost got sick, it was horrific!! So, I went to GNC and got a couple different kinds, Isopure and a couple different little protein "shots' I tried one and it was awful! I dont know what to do. I know people on here have told me about the protein that has no taste from up at GNC but, I have been told its very gritty. Please anyone, any ideas?? 

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/11 12:11 pm - Overland Park, KS
I was sleeved on 11/18 and have not been getting much in the way of protein. Just really concentrating on the water. My surgeon also ok'ed me to have NSA Carnation Instant Breakfast. It's 5g of protein and took me a while to drink - I also mixed it with Lactaid as he doesn't recommend too much lactose in the first week. I also made some SF hot cocoa and added unflavored Unjury protein powder to. I'm also allowed to have Greek yogurt, you might ask your doc about that. It has a lot of protein. 

Right now the important thing is staying hydrated. I find that to be a challenge daily, so the protein needs kind of just fall by the wayside right now. Today I had an EAS protein shake and got it all down in a little over an hour. They are more watery and do not taste awful. You might want to try those if you haven't already. 

That's really all I can think of at the moment...sorry! I hope you find something you like. I ordered 3 giant tubs of Unjury that will be here tomorrow. If you haven't tried that, I suggest you do. It is by far, the tastiest protein I have had. 

Good luck!
vacationlover
on 11/22/11 8:04 pm
b_scene33
on 11/22/11 9:53 pm - OH
I don't know if youw will like it or not, but I love popsiciles... but I made a protien shake, 14 oz of milk, and 4 scoops of chocolate protien shake mix,  then i pour it into a popsicle mold i have, make 8, and it come to 14.25 g per 2 oz popsicle. I hate drinking protien, its a bit girtty but i think i went overboard on the shake mix, but it doesnt have as strong of a taste when its frozen. I can rely on these heavily, but if i have two a day, i can usuallyeat enough other food, to make it to about 50 gm a day...also best part is i get a fudge pop with out the carbs or sugar!!!

♫♫♪♪♫Brie♫♫♪♪♫
*H:5'4" HW: 242 SW: 218.8 CW:142  GW:142*
Surgery Date 9/07/11

mandyc1975
on 11/22/11 11:09 pm - Richardson, TX
VSG on 09/20/11 with
I haven't tried unjury yet, I use nectar (fuzzy navel flavor). I actually mix it with orange crystal lite to improve the taste so maybe you could add a single crystal lite packet (whatever flavor you choose) to your isopure. It might help!

Good Luck!

Do not ask God to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

9/4 (pro op) 299 lbs - 9/20 (surgery day) 285 lbs - 10/4 268 lbs - 11/7 251 lbs- 12/8 239 lbs - 1/9 222 lbs - 2/7 214 lbs - 3/3 202 lbs - 3/19 194 lbs ... 9/20/2012 - 142 lbs
jojomoe523
on 11/22/11 11:14 pm - PA
i was drinking the body fortress shots i got at walmart. they were around 26 grams of protein and i would put them in a 20oz bottle of water. it just tasted like diluted fruit punch. i actually still do them if i am low on protein for the day or if i go out to shoot darts and they serve foods that i shouldn't have.

Punkin Bugg
on 11/22/11 11:21 pm

I just bought a gallon of the purified egg whites from the pharmacy at the bariatric hospital here in Dallas.  They came frozen solid, and it took me about 2 hours to get them thawed out enough to use.  

A half-cup of egg whites has 31g of protein, and I mixed it with 1 cup of Borden's extra-protein milk (10g protein) and about a Tbsp of chocolate syrup.  It was very easy for me to drink, and I hope to be able to mix it with other juices, cold tea, etc.  I'm at 4 weeks post-op, and I can't stand the powdered protein mixes or Muscle Milk.  Bluggh.  Hopefully this egg white solution + protein from foods will be enough!

HW 283 / SW 275 / CW 246

Paige V.
on 11/22/11 11:31 pm - Gainesville, FL
I couldnt do protein shakes......so I did cheese and a little milk but barely any of that because it also made me sick.

Once I could eat it was better, I did some pureed chicken salads and stuff......

now my main source of protein is beef jerky and pork rinds

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

KauaiLulu
on 11/23/11 12:49 am - HI
 I am 3 1/2 months post-op and I take Alpine Punch Isopure and mix it with Fruit Punch Crystal Light (make the CL first - then add to Isopure) put it over ice and I've grown to like it.  It's not the most fabulous thing ever but for 40 grams of protein and it not being a shake - so worth it to me.

Good luck to you!

Lulu
Enjoying the journey......

emelar
on 11/23/11 1:00 am - TX
The protein shots are collagen.  Totally useless as protein as they lack the amino acids necessary for your body to break them down.  Don't waste your money.  READ LABELS.  If the first protein ingredient isn't whey or soy or cassein (milk), then just put it down.

If you can drink milk, drink it.  Or try muscle milk or ready to drinks like it.  The premier protein drinks from Costco are really good.  I use Optimum Nutrition Gold (you can get it at GNC) and mix it in nonfat milk or coffee.  It blends well.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views