has anyone else had this issue??

amberk82
on 11/25/11 11:33 pm
wow! You have done great on your weight loss journey in such a short time! I guess ending that relationship really paid off!! Great Job!

skylark2011
on 11/25/11 10:15 pm
Amber,the blahs really are a blessing in disguise.  I too am a big meat eater, but could tuck into potatoes or anything as the mood hit me...and I was always in the mood for food!  After the surgery I tried different foods at about...8 days out i think.  I was sorely disappointed by the lack of taste and the absence of what I call the "whammy-zammy" - you know, that flood of endorphins or whatever that came with ODing on food. On a far smaller scale than before, I am still dealing with that  loss at almost 6 months out.  I have revisited some foods, even while knowing they just dont do it anymore, and dont regret what this knowledge has meant for me.  Everyone is different, so you have to find out what works for you, but I think all the vsgers whove posted have really good info for you.  Remember its a process, so dont beat yourself up too much when you slip up, and YOU know YOU better than anyone on these boards. 

I am firmly and irrevocably in the low carb camp.  My love of protein with full fats, (Im talkin rib eye baby!!) and veggies has really helped me shed the weight.  If you are going the low carb way, you dont really have to worry about the fats in natural food so long as you keep your carbs low ****ep them around 30) , and keep up with your exercise when you are cleared to do so. Just hang on through the mushy phase or find ways to boost the taste in your soup - you dont have to avoid flavor just because its simple!  One thing that I really loved during the clear and mushy phase was strained french onion soup.  

I too have this salty crunchy desire that can be pretty hard to ignore, so I will warn you and say, at least for me, chips still taste wonderful, so dont keep them in the house and dont let family keep them in the house.  I do have them around my monthly - I will buy a small bag and munch.  Just pay attention to your body.  I am still new to this, but I can tell when I've had just enough or one chip too many.  This may work for you, I hope it helps.

HW: 351 SW: 344.5   5'10"  

amberk82
on 11/25/11 11:37 pm
I am def on board with the low carb type of lifestyle! I have done atkins a number of times over the years adn while I enjoyed eating all the meats etc, the weight loss was only there the 1st couple weeks and I would land flat on my face. I know the mushy phase may not be the best as far as protein is concerned (even though I can have ground turkey, deli shaved lunch meats, eggs and low fat cheese) which will all have some protein in it, I will try to steer away from the carbs!

LittleItaly
on 11/25/11 11:31 pm - TN
It's not uncommon for your taste buds to change after surgery what was good before its not so good afterwards. My body had a huge problem processing whey protein afterwards and my sense of smell was extremely sensitive. I stayed sick for the first 5 weeks I felt pregnant all over again.

I will be 3 months post in the 30th. I eat protein first. I do not eat sugar nor do I consume anything that can lead to the slippery slope of bad habits. I love food and that's what got me here. You made a choice to have the surgery to change not only your body but your mind. They go hand in hand. Be careful not to fall for the food that landed you here.

I love my sleeve I will not lie I miss some foods but I'm committed to not going back to my prior ways. This support group has made my commitment stronger because of the feedback.

Happy Weight Loss!

amberk82
on 11/25/11 11:39 pm
I can not handle the whey protein anymore....I could before surgery with no issues, but now, it is impossible! I started drinking isopure which is ok...it will work for now! But, I am really looking forward to adding meats into my diet...which as of Mon I can add a few other sources of protein which I think will make a huge difference!

ruggie
on 11/26/11 4:19 am - Sacramento, CA
Interesting, I thought all IsoPure products were Whey based - what's the name of the Isopure you're using that's not whey?  I'd be interested to look at it.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

amberk82
on 11/26/11 6:19 am
I honestly have no idea that there were different types of isopure...the one I drink is alpine punch...the only reason I said that about the whey is because the person at gnc told me since it males me sick when I drink it that it was because it was whey and it's dairy? The isopure I drink is like a juice and non dairy. It has 40 grams in the bottle
ruggie
on 11/26/11 8:40 am - Sacramento, CA
Hey -

I think the guy that helped you at GNC was mistaken - you might want to be careful about gathering nutrition advice from them, people working the floors and registers aren't actually trained in nutrion.  While a juice flavor doesn't taste milky, it's still full of milk-derived protein.  (Milk proteins separate into two classes, the casinates (curds) and the whey).  So, the good news is that you don't actually have an issue with whey protein, if you're tolerating the Isopure Alpine Punch flavor!  That's good, since whey protein shakes are so abudant and represent a complete protein source.

Here's Isopure's marketing lines for your shake:

With 50 Grams of Protein From 100% Whey Protein Isolate

Nature's Best Perfect Zero Carb Isopure contains 50 grams of 100% Whey Protein Isolate.  Any and all impurities typically found in most whey proteins have been removed to provide you with a great tasting, lactose free, glutamine enriched, state of the art carbohydrate free protein supplement.

Nature's Best set out to create a product that didn't hide anything from its customers.  We wanted you to know that you're purchasing the best product available on the market.  Our protein source is clearly identified as 100% Whey Protein Isolate.  We didn't try to confuse you by listing a protein blend that doesn't tell you how much of the product is superior whey protein isolate and how much is whey protein concentrate or sweet whey or some other inferior protein source.

Here's the ingredients list of your shake:
Ion exchange whey (milk) protein isolate, microfiltered whey (milk) protein isolate, vitamin/mineral/amino acid blend (taurine, potassium [as potassium chloride], chloride [as potassium and sodium chloride], calcium [as dicalcium phosphate dihydrate], phosphorus [as dicalcium phosphate dihydrate], l-glutamine, magnesium [as magnesium oxide], vitamin C [ascorbic acid], vitamin E [as dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate], niacin, zinc [as zinc sulfate dihydrate], vitamin A [as palmitate], pantothenic acid [as d-calcium pantothenate], vitamin B6 [as pyridoxine hydrochloride], copper [as amino acid chelate], manganese [as manganese sulfate dihydrate], riboflavin, thiamin [as thiamin hydrochloride], folic acid, biotin, iodide [as potassium iodide], chromium [as amino acid chelate], vitamin K, molybdenum [as amino acid chelate], selenium [as amino acid chelate], vitamin B12), malic acid, soy lecithin, malic acid, citric acid, natural flavor, sucralose and FD&C red 40.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

amberk82
on 11/26/11 11:58 am
WOW!!!! I am confused as to why I didnt ever have an issue with my 100% whey protein shakes before I had surgery--afterwards it makes me sick. But, the Isopure I can tolerate. If its not the whey, what else could it be? This is all new info to me so In kinda blind going into it, which is why I was glad to find any sort of protein drink I could handle at all (especially being on the liquid phase and unable to actually eat protein) 

wls2011
on 11/26/11 12:46 am - Ballston Lake, NY
 I really did not enjoy food at all for the most part until around 6 months out....eating was really a chore and although my taste buds did not change, the effort for the tiny amount of food just did not seem worth it and I just didn't care about food.

Plus, I really can't eat breads or pastas without being overly full/uncomfortable, so those are things that I would have went to in the past and now just avoid.

But, unfortunately, I do enjoy chips, crackers, & things like that, and can easily overdo them....candy & ice cream also goes down nice an easy. So those are things I really have to be careful about.

Now I can enjoy a nice piece of filet mignon or roasted turkey....the difference is I need it moist and with gravy, when I never was a gravy eater before and the most I can have is about 3 oz....sometimes, it is still frustrating to not get to eat more of something that tastes really good...but my capacity has doubled what it was in the beginning....so hopefully my restriction stays where it is now.

Your eating may never be totally the same again....but chances are you will enjoy food again...so take advantage of this honeymoon phase where food doesn't have much appeal at all. I stuck to mainly broth & protein shakes & yogurt for a long time because they were safe choices and I wasn't in a hurry to test my sleeve. Good luck!

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 401 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op