has anyone else had this issue??

amberk82
on 11/25/11 10:01 am
I wanted to see if anyone else had this issue? It seems that I want some kinds of foods soooo bad, but when I eat them, its like blah! For example, I do not start mushies until Mon. But I took some mashed potatoes and made them runny with a little milk and butter and I started to eat them and it just wasnt that great. Please tell me eating will be the same again at some point. I was sooooo excited about starting mushie stage and now it seems like it will be blah like the potatoes.

ruggie
on 11/25/11 10:11 am - Sacramento, CA
Time to start ending that love affair with food....

And it's not like you were planning on eating mashed potatoes during your mush stage anyway; they have no protein and are just straight up carbs and fat. Pretty much the opposite of what to eat.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

amberk82
on 11/25/11 10:21 am
oh no...i get my protein in with Isopure...I am not good with protein shakes, so I prefer the isopure. I will be really good getting all of it in when I can eat meats and stuff...I love meat and will always eat it first before anything else, so protein will not be an issue. But, when you are so limited and have to eat something.......

ruggie
on 11/25/11 10:42 am - Sacramento, CA
I'm going to step up my adivce here, and you're welcome to ball it up, set it on fire, and then bury the ashes.  Or print it out and put it on your fridge. 

You are right when you say "when you are so limited and have to eat something".  I just want to finish the sentence for you: "you have to eat something in compliance with your diet, such as a lean source of protein with a minimum amount of carbs."  There!  Perfect.

The mushy stage is full of fun stuff, and it doesn't last forever.  I had meat-based baby food, non-fat Greek yogurt (not regular!), non-fat cottage cheese, soft delicious Tofu, eggs, and I do believe I was a 'bad boy' and had some well masticated tuna.  And more protein drinks of course.  Lots and lots of protein shakes to hit the daily requirement.  There's whey, soy, and egg-based shakes.  Buy a bunch, some actually taste not horrible.  But, we don't drink it for the taste.

You're like a week out of surgery, and already wanting to break compliance with your diet.  I'm calling Shannagians.  Stop it.

There's a reason you need 80 (or more!) grams of protein a day, and a reason to have 40 (or much less!) g of carbs a day.  You're healing from surgery now and for the next few weeks, even if you don't have pain.  You need protein for that tissue to mend.  Also, high-protein diets keep blood sugar in check which helps to prevent hunger and cravings *cough*  Eating carbs spikes your blood sugar which makes you hungry... which doesn't help you at all.

When can you have mashed potatoes?  Once you lose all your weight and you're in maintenance.  It's pure carbs - with butter - at a week or two out of surgery.  I, too, love mashed potatoes.  I mourn the absence of their creamy, buttery goodness with you.  But I'm not eating that jun****il I fit into these damn pants I bought years ago.

You've already had the surgery.  It sucks, it really sucks, but eating is no longer about putting in your mouth what makes your taste buds and brains happy.  You'll have to start deriving pleasure from other sources.  Adhiring to your diet will accelerate your loss and keep you healthy. 

You are stronger than carbs!  Stick with it, it's toughest at the beginning.  Time makes it easier, the routine of success.  Good luck to you!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

sweetummies
on 11/25/11 11:29 am
I agree with what the prior poster said, but also know that mashed potatoes are on some doctors' post op diets, so it seems at least on some plans it's ok early out when you are so limited and testing your new stomach's boundaries.

But, to that poster's point, it is best to try to avoid the carbs and start the protein first mentality as soon as you can so it becomes habit.  Maybe the fact that the mashed potatoes didn't give you the same satisfaction as before will help and be a blessing in disguise.

I had my surgery same day as you and I'm with you - I am sooooo ready for food.  Hang in there!
amberk82
on 11/25/11 11:48 am
thanks for saying that sweetummies! Every doc plans are different which doesnt make alot of sense to me, but it is what it is! I did ask my doc office if i could test the waters with some mashed potatoes and she said it was fine as long as they were runny and well blended (which they were) I think you are right about it being a blessing in disguise!

amberk82
on 11/25/11 11:38 am
Foxbins
on 11/25/11 12:05 pm
I can only give you my experience with food post-sleeve--but eating is different now.  Before surgery, every meal needed something sweet in it--pancakes or waffles for breakfast, a chocolate bar after lunch, dessert after dinner--and I ate loads of pasta and bread.  Now, I don't really have a sweet tooth anymore.  Sometimes I want chocolate, but if I have a small piece that's all I want and I'm satisfied.  Bread is sort of blah to me now and pasta doesn't sit well, so I don't eat them.  However, I would not trade all the food I used to stuff into myself for the way I look and feel now.  I have collarbones and look great in clothes.  Food isn't the focus of my life anymore.  It took some time, but now I am not food-focused, I am interested in other things.  I hope that you develop other interests besides food as well.

amberk82
on 11/25/11 12:18 pm
Thanks so much for sharing that with me Foxbins! I agree with you 100% I never had much of a sweet tooth, my problem was the salty stuff and snacks, like chips and chex mix etc...I already feel like a new person on my new journey. Just having a really hard time with the options I have because everything I try to eay just isnt good....no matter what it is, even the soups I eat. Everything is just blah which is what Im hoping will change soon :( 

intothehaze
on 11/25/11 10:07 pm
 Yes, I totally have that problem. But, my taste buds and smell have both changed big time since I changed my lifestyle, and I'm not longer in a relationship with food. At least that is what I blame it on. :)

VGS Date: 8/15/11    
Age: 34 | Ht: 5' 11" | HW: 380 | Pre-op: 363 | SW: 300 | CW: 199.3 | GW: 190 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 315 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views