question about hair loss

wmubronco03
on 11/30/11 9:10 pm - MI
VSG on 11/30/12
 Is the hairloss permanent? Not a deal breaker, just wondering...
Samantha H.
on 11/30/11 9:16 pm - Kuwait City, Kuwait
This is something I have been agonizing over. I already shed a ridiculous amount and I do not want to end up bald!
cbz1815
on 11/30/11 9:19 pm
 I was told it is not permanent just a reaction to surgery and rapid weight loss.  It is also a bit genetic on who experiences the most hair loss - some loss is not noticable to others just a thinning and some is dramatic.   
 http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/1002835/tickers/cbz18154ffc4e0ad3061cc9a4a78b5c152e9570.png?1322016825
Samantha H.
on 11/30/11 9:28 pm - Kuwait City, Kuwait
Is biotin helpful?
slimpickins5280
on 11/30/11 10:16 pm - CO

I was told that it doesn't hurt to try biotin, but that most people didn't see a difference in the amount of hair they lose.

Do a search on OH for hair loss. Someone put up some good info on why it happens and why the biotin doesn't usually work. It had to do with those hairs being already pre-selected for loss because of the surgery and rapid weight loss, but I didn't bookmark it.

IMO, you/we have done some major damage to our bodies with the years of crappy eating. If hair loss is the worst thing I have to deal with (and so far it is), I'll take it.

It grows back eventually, unless your genetics made you pre-disposed to losing hair (i.e. a man who was going to go bald anyway).

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

sleevegirl
on 11/30/11 10:17 pm - Austin, TX
Nearly everyone will loose hair. It is not permanent and you will not go bald, though some people have ended up with a wig (but that seems to be a small percentage). Mine started at 10 weeks and I'm now 5 months and it's still going on. I think it's slowed down. Biotin will not help, nor will expensive shampoos. Having said that, I do take biotin to help with the regrowth and strenghten my nails, etc.

It's just something we all have to go through. Keep up your protein, keep doing what you're doing, enjoy your new life (I'm almost to 100 pounds lost! Seriously, who cares about a little hair).

I did end up getting my hair cut into an a-line bob to my jaw line. My hairdresser was like "holy crap, what do we do with that??" BUT it looks good, no one can really notice.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

SassyItalian
on 11/30/11 11:01 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis

the hair loss isnt permanent. just make sure you are getting your vitamins, water, and protein and it will stop falling out eventually.

mine started around month 4-5 and lasted until month 8-9. started as an increased shedding, it was more annoying than anything, lots of hair in the tub and on my brush.

but it has stopped and everything is back to normal. no biggie. and no one ever noticed but me.  like someone else said, only a small percentage of people need a hairpiece to camoflage it. its usually those who had thinning hair before.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views