feeling of stuck??

amberk82
on 12/1/11 10:09 am
okay, this may sound stupid but I want to make sure this is normal? Sometimes when I eat anything really, I can feel it pass through my chest like maybe I am eating/chewing too fast? I can feel like a pressure in my chest right below my bra in the middle and then I walk and it goes away like within 20 min or so...I tried to start chewing slower and it seems to not happen as much...is this what stuck feels like? 

WendyMcDoug
on 12/1/11 10:12 am
 Just a little trick that my friend taught me and I used it tonight.  I had that stuck feeling like you are talking about too big a bite.  Raise your arms straight up over your and twist side to side.  It was amazing as soon as I did it I felt the little bubbles rise up to the stop and the other go down.  Works faster than walking

amberk82
on 12/1/11 10:17 am
really! I am gonna have to try that! So, that is what that is huh? I mean sometimes it does not sit there, I can just feel it pass through and go down like maybe too big of a bite or something. Thanks for sharing that!!

ruggie
on 12/1/11 11:29 am - Sacramento, CA
I see you're about two weeks out of surgery - you might be describing the feeling of restriction - if so, you should stop eating at that point.

I'd imagine you're on mushies - what are you eating that causes this feeling?

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

amberk82
on 12/1/11 11:49 am

I am on mushies.... Honestly, it happens with alot of things I eat...I am trying to keep up my protein so I have tried: string cheese (which went good) eggs with cheese (got stuck or I ate toof ast) ground turkey with some ricotta cheese I tried tonight and it went ok...wendys chili went pretty good.,.shrimp goes pretty good...really its like I chew and swallow and by the time I am chewing again I can feel my food going down and it hurts a little..I am not sure if I am not chewing good enough? it only lasts a second unless it gets stuck like the eggs and that was like 20 min after I walked around it finally went away. If it is the resritction, can you explain what I would be doing wrong?? 

ruggie
on 12/1/11 12:58 pm - Sacramento, CA
Wow, you're kinda far for being on mushies.  I know everyone has different diet directives, but I would alter it a bit.

First, skip the cheese - it's got too much fat (calories) and not enough protein.  (Cheese is pretty dense and hard to digest as well).  Turkey will probably ok for you is definitely not a "mushy" unless it's turkey baby food.  Same with shrimp.  Is your surgeon really okay with you having animal meats already?  I'm surprised.

Wendy's chili?!  Ugh.  Not even going to comment on that one.  (It's not even 50% protein)

Your mushies aren't really so mushy, and you may be pushing your stomach too hard with the food you're eating at two weeks.

My mushies were really mushy, and focused on being high protein- nonfat Greek yogurt, nonfat cottage cheese, eggs of any form (poached is the softest), all kinds of soft tofu, chicken/turkey/beef baby food (good with a little salt and pepper), high-protein pudding (not regular), high-protein jello, purried smooth soups, and lots and lots and lots of protein shakes.  I'm five months out and I still drink 3 shakes a day.

I'm not sure if your sensation if from eating food ahead of plan, or if it's restriction... but restriction is a fairly obvious feeling... you're full, but different.  And the first time you swallow a bite too much, YOU WILL KNOW.  No question.  That sensation is quite unplesant.  

amberk82
on 12/1/11 11:59 am
never mind my question about the restriction...I re-read your post and I already got my answerLOL 

amberk82
on 12/1/11 11:54 am
and sometimes it happens the 1st or 2nd bite

ruggie
on 12/1/11 1:00 pm - Sacramento, CA
Restriction can be the first or second bite - this early out, your stomach is still pretty inflamed, and there's hardly any space in it (that's why you need mushy material).  I remember the very first spoonful of cottage cheese.... I was full!  I panicked a bit, but it got better in weeks 3 and 4.  Now I eat 1/2 cup of cottage cheese in 15-30 minutes.  (12-13 g protein, 80 calories).

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views