Motivation, willpower, does it get easier?

Softballgal73
on 12/5/11 4:08 am
I am approved to be sleeved on 12/27. I have begun to get very nervous about the procedure. I've been pretty frustrated with myself for all of the same stuff that has caused me to stay overweight all of these years. I mean, I get up every single day and have good intentions of staying on track. It usually backfires on me by means of my hunger getting out of control, despite my efforts to eat all of the things I'm supposed to. Sometimes, something gets in the way of my working out and I don't get it done for several days in a row.I put things in my shopping cart that I shouldn't......the list goes on and on....
I find that I have no willpower most days...However, I do know for sure that If I have things planned, I am more willing to stick to the plan than have to count on making a good choice on a whim. Please tell me that it is easier to stay on track after surgery. I DESPERATELY WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT......I just get so down on myself at times. Does this thing ever get any easier? My Dr. told me that the appetite drives about 65% of the equation is he right? I sure hope so.
Mom4Jazz
on 12/5/11 4:26 am
It is easier to stay on track after surgery.

That said, they operate on our stomachs, not our brains. Therapy before and immediately after surgery can be a HUGE help with the needed behavior change.

This is your whole future - don't be afraid to spend a few months seeing a counselor to help you make it work.

Good luck!

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

USAF Wife
on 12/5/11 4:33 am
I think this aspect of any surgery is very individualized and personal. Some people will tell you that they struggle daily, others will say that they struggle to eat nor have they have an appetite. I don't think this is something that can or will ever be standardized. For me, I found it much easier to stay on task and stay driven because I was so hellbent on not being fat anymore. PLUS, my surgeon gave me a strict program to follow and I honestly believe that I trusted this man to butcher my insides, I better trust him on what and how much I should eat. I can honestly say that I lost all of my physical hunger, but for me appetite and hunger are 2 different beasts. I have no physical hunger, but my appetite is still that of a 270lb fat chick who loves food. The thing that has changed is my behaviors with food. I can no longer eat huge, copious amounts of food. I can eat ****pots of bad foods, but I know that it will lead to my ass getting huge again. So, I make the choice to put good, nutrient dense and protein dense foods in my body because 1) My body runs best with those food choices 2) I know that making the "best" choice will keep my weight stable. It's still about choices at the end of the day regardless if I had 85% of my stomach removed. I can still suck down milkshakes and oreos, but what will that get me in the end?

Appetite, for me, is driven by my mind and my desires, not a physical hunger. He operated on my stomach not my brain. Unfortunately, Cheetos still sound and taste amazing, and they go down without restriction so I have to be mindful when I decide to eat them. During my losing stage, I didn't fool around with carbs or junk food, it was all about protein and healthy fats. I knew I wouldn't lose if I didn't cut carbs. I stuck to what my surgeon told me to eat, and how much to eat, 4 meals a day, no snacks, and that got me to goal in 6.5 months. Maintenance eating is completely different. I do not forbid any foods, or beverages. I live a life of moderation, but I don't identify as a food addict nor do I have compulsive eating tendencies. Both of those can change how you manage your eating during the losing stage and maintenance.

Not being physically hungry is great and I attribute this to about 80% of my success early out. Once I hit maintenance, not being hungry is fabulous, but I ate without being hungry pre-op. Post-VSG and losing my weight and being in maintenance, keeping myself out of the fridge and pantry falls back on me, and my choices. It all falls on me at the end of the day. At least that's how I feel about this whole journey that I've been on for 2.5 years.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

mandyc1975
on 12/5/11 5:08 am - Richardson, TX
VSG on 09/20/11 with
USAF Wife is right, and I will say that one thing most of us have in common is that it is easy right after surgery because you are healing and don't feel like eating and most of us do not feel hungry. (head hunger is different).

So after forcing yourself to do the preop diet and then the first few weeks after surgery when you can't eat anything, I think you kind of "get use to it." I'm not saying you wont struggle with cravings, because we are only human, but for me, it has helped to get me on track.

Good luck!
Do not ask God to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

9/4 (pro op) 299 lbs - 9/20 (surgery day) 285 lbs - 10/4 268 lbs - 11/7 251 lbs- 12/8 239 lbs - 1/9 222 lbs - 2/7 214 lbs - 3/3 202 lbs - 3/19 194 lbs ... 9/20/2012 - 142 lbs
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 5 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 5 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 190 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 277 views