why diarrhea post op but constipation after?

AMoody
on 12/11/11 7:53 am - Mayville, MI
VSG on 02/06/12
I was just wondering, why the diarrhea when you do the liquid post op diet but then constipation with the only liquid diet after surgery? Why wouldnt it be diarrhea for both? What changes since even a couple of weeks after the surgery your still only drinking liquids??/

H.W 247 L.W 170 C.W 238 G.W 145

comeundone
on 12/11/11 8:14 am - OH
For me the meds caused the diarrhea when I stopped meds, no more diarrhea
HW 289  SW 242

Mom4Jazz
on 12/11/11 8:17 am, edited 12/11/11 8:18 am
There are two separate causes of constipation post-op. The one you may be thinking of - a high protein, low carb diet - really does tend to only kick in with solids.

The other cause, however, is many pf the narcotic pain relievers like the pump they give you in the hospital and the prescription many folks come home on. Due to my surgeon's plan I was (TMI) completely empty when I went into the hospital and was unable to take the pain meds when I got home because I was allergic. As a result, I never had the immediate post-op constipation. Mine didn't start until I was on solids.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

BiscuitNYC
on 12/11/11 8:29 am - NYC, NY
DS on 01/23/13
 I seemed to vascilate between one extreme or the other, especially the first weeks post-op -- liquid in = liquid out.  However, a protein-loaded diet, not enough fiber, and not getting at least 64 oz liquid tends to bind things up.  I know I'm still not drinking enough, but I've started using Benefiber to help keep things regular. 
roseselene
on 12/11/11 8:47 am
I think that the constipation can be narcotic pain medications if you're still taking them.  OR lack of fiber.  I had terrible time with constipation until I started taking a fiber supplement every single day.  Now i'm totally regular.   I had diarrhea in the early post op time and I just assumed it was liquid in/liquid out thing.  However, some people are more affected by the narcotic pain medication so may have more of an issue with constipation during that time.
Amy
CW: 255 SW: 234 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views