TMI for the ladies

Lilo27Stitch
on 12/12/11 3:17 am
Okay so I'm sorry if this is too descriptive but I need to know if this is normal or not....

So I'm 5 weeks post op and coming up on my first period since the surgery...
Normally I did not have bad cramps or GI upset but now???? My stomach cramps, I have lower abdominal cramps...and have been attending the bathroom wayyyyyy more than  I'm supposed to.

Has anyone else had severe GI upset post op? I also didn't get my period last month (was on BC, stopped for sx a month prior...restarted BC 3 weeks ago) Anyone have the same issues with their tummy? :\ I can't eat much and when I do I get sick...

HeLp!!!

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/11 3:57 am
I can't answer about the period issue, but the gastric issue I can.

It is very common post op to become lactose intolerant. Of course most of our protein shakes have lactose of some sort. In addition, I became completely intolerant to the powdered protein - all of it, no matter what base. At first I thought it was just whey, but no, all of it.

I had to switch to pre-made protein drinks which are horribly expensive. I don't like very many of them so now that I'm 5 months I get my extra protein with regular milk, nuts and cheese. I just can't do those shakes.

But for me, the protein drinks were causing major bathroom issues. My test was to go two days without a protein shake, see how it went, then drink one on a day I wasn't going to be out. Sure enough within 30 minutes of drinking it again, I was in trouble!

I suspect with the other issue - your body may just be reacting to going off then back on the hormones? Maybe wait a month, see if it keeps up and then go see the doctor if it happens again.
Chris Waffle
on 12/12/11 3:59 am - Cypress, CA
Boy, that doesn't sound like a fun time.  Another reason I'm glad I don't have a vagina!  Okay, sorry for the intrusion. I'll be on my way...

Join me at #OH2013

HW: 375 SW: 295 CW: 195

I'm in it to win it!

Lilo27Stitch
on 12/12/11 4:17 am
 Thanks so much for the advice. I think the lactose intolerance may be it. What can I use to make my shakes then?? Milk is so much better than water. What else is good??
erikalea1970
on 12/12/11 5:13 am - NJ
VSG on 06/11/12
I'm sorry I can't offer any advice, but I did want to ask why you stopped BC (can't understand the abbreviation sx). Do we have to go off BC for surgery?
Lilo27Stitch
on 12/12/11 6:18 am
GI is gastrointestinal  - and yes you should stop birth control before surgery (sx) at least one month. It places you at a higher risk for blood clots. My dr said I could restart 1 month post op. but please realize that when you start it again you need to be on it one month before you have unprotected sex again because it needs time to build up in ur body.
Laura2112
on 12/12/11 5:37 am - Austin, PA
 way back int he day I would have increase bathroom activity when it was that TOM. It was explained to me that the what ever makes you go is in more abundance during TOM.

5'2" HW: 282.2 SW 247.80 
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views