Semi-vanity question

Jamie_45
on 12/13/11 6:22 am - CA
VSG on 01/09/12
While I don't normally worry about these things, and I'm having VSG for all the right reasons, I am worried about one little thing!  I am older than most of you (66) and I KNOW after surgery I will have hanging skin.  I'm okay with most of it, but am worried about my face.  Even though I am beginning to get wrinkles, I think as the weight comes off the wrinkles will multiply (ha).  My question is... Is there a legitimate product on the market to help with that side-effect of WL surgery and losing weight?  There's a million products that claim to make you look younger and take care of wrinkles.  While I'm not looking for a miracle... I am 66 after all... I would prefer to not look 88 when I'm on the other side of this adventure.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Elaine2
on 12/13/11 7:48 am, edited 12/13/11 7:49 am - Atlanta, GA
Hate to be the bearer of bad news...but I don't think any product really works all that well.
Your best bet is your genetics and wl history! And I think all of the fluids make the skin look "fresher".

I'm 59----badly need  plastic surgery from my ankles to my ears but it's not going to happen. However, if someone gave me cash and said... You can have 1 surgery....I would do a facelift and necklift. I don't have more lines...just deeper. Now, I'm never going to run the beach in a bikini...wasn't ever the plan...but still have to get up every morning and look in the mirror. I don't see 88 but I don't see a "spring chick" either. 

I guess the key is....I get up every morning. That was questionable pre VSG.

Good luck. 

Edited to add-- Is your avatar a bichon? My baby is 11 today,

Jamie_45
on 12/13/11 8:18 am - CA
VSG on 01/09/12
Thank you Elaine.  That's what I was afraid of... guess I'll just have to learn to live with it or save for a face lift!  Yes that's a Bichon.  I just lost my "baby" last week.  He was the love of our lives and such a special companion.  He was almost 15 though so had a long and very happy life.  Maybe after I get a few months out from VSG I will think about getting another.

Sara R.
on 12/13/11 8:19 am
Unfortunately there is nothing out that helps with sagging skin. of course moisturized skin and exercising helps the skin firm up a little better. i think plastic surgery is the only way to actually 'fix' the issue
SassyItalian
on 12/13/11 8:54 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Scientifically speaking, nothing can penetrate the dermis layers andactually make a real difference.

I do hear peels can help wrinkles seem less deep, you might do best consdering some facial fillers and things like that, they make a huge difference.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Cookster
on 12/13/11 10:28 am - AZ
 OK, here's the deal.  I am 65 when I had my VSG and am almost 50 pounds down (HOORAY for me), but there are many wrinkles where there few.  My arms are crepey.  But, know what, I am getting compliments daily about how great I look.  Guess they look at me in my happy eyes, not at the sagging stuff.  It makes me realize that I look a lot better thinner and wrinkled than I did as a fattie.  Even my DH hugs me much more often - it's all good.  I have a friend who's a plastic surgeon and he said to just exercise - 4 days a week cardio and 2 days a week with weights.  Firm as best you can.  The heart's certainly healthier.  
Jamie_45
on 12/13/11 10:35 am - CA
VSG on 01/09/12
Thank you Cookster for sharing that with me.  I thought I was the only one going through this at my age.  I'm pretty much knew what the answers would be and am excited that I can now spend my $$ on new clothes rather than expensive face creams.  I understand spanx does wonders for the rest of the body... I will see when I get there.  Still waiting for surgery date, but suspect it will be 1/9/12.

Cookster
on 12/13/11 1:07 pm - AZ
 Bless your heart, Jamie.  This is such an exciting journey.  I could never imagine that people would view me as attractive!  Wow!  Unless you've been booked to dance nude in some club, don't worry about the wrinkles.  You've earned 'em.  Wait till you start your own journey - you'll be amazed at your results.  It's not easy, but it's not hard either.  I know that doesn't make sense, but it's true.  Each milestone (meaning poundage) is SSOOOO exciting.  Enjoy it when it starts.  HooHoo!
Most Active