How may calories a day are you eating?

asweetiepye
on 12/16/11 4:08 am
I have been calling off of work for the last few days. I have been feeling really nauseated, weak, and dizzy. I am 4 months out from surgery.I went to see the NP on Tuesday. We went over my labsand my  protein levels were low. I have really been off the wagon with protein, vits, water/fluids, and exercise. She asked me how many calories a day I eat. I said I think about 600. I'm not really sure not a calorie counter. 
I have been scheduled for a gallbladder ultrasound because of my nausea. She told me I'm not eating enough hence my dizziness.I was given a print out that said to maintain my current weight(191 lbs) I should eat 1659 cals a day. So NP said if I want to lose I should prob eat about 1000  cals a day.  She did say my weight loss was great though about 76lbs in 3 months. So back to the original question, how many cals a day are you eating? What are you drinking? And how are you managing to get your protein in? I am really struggling on finding a protein drink that I like. Just bought some pure protein vanilla cream shakes, atkins vanilla shakes, and an isopure drink.
Thanks for any tips or advice,
Andrea

Andrea- HT- 5' 7" HW-286 SW-265  CW-153.6
(deactivated member)
on 12/16/11 4:23 am
Mom4Jazz
on 12/16/11 4:26 am, edited 12/16/11 4:26 am
8 months out, I eat in a range of 600 to 800. I had been averaging around 650, but now that I'm working out more I'm trying to average comfortably over 700 - trying to hit 750 but that's a stretch for me.

I think there's a bit of a mess about "calories to maintain weight". Those are averages which depend on a lot of factors including activity levels AND metabolism. Many of us who got to be morbidly obese have both eating behavior issues and slow metabolism, not just one or the other. So for most of us we could maintain on a lot less calories than the charts say.

I suggest you start tracking your calories (I use myfitnesspal) to see how much you're eating. Some folks on here do fine at 1000 calories a day, but many of us have to be lower to see significant loss. I doubt I would go into maintenance at 1000 calories a day, but my already slow losing of these final pounds would probably slow waaaaaaay further down.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/11 4:30 am
I'm still hanging around 600+/- 100cals a day. Being off the wagon on protein/vites, counting/logging your macros is not a good thing.. but you know this- and your body is probably giving you the "hey, need something over here!" signals with the dizziness, hopefully that's all it is and not the GB acting up..

Please consider becoming a counter for a while, you are not a normie anymore, and you need to make sure you are fueling yourself properly. You may not need to log for life, but at least check in and see what your actual daily totals look like cals/protein wise from time to time so you do stay nutritionally sound and don't suffer a protein deficiency or other issues of malnutrition.

I still need to log daily as I get "no hunger" days, and would come in way under-fed if I just ate whenever, or on hungry days can easily over-eat what I need. I still use at least one protein supplement to hit my 70g goal per day. I have a routine, I make a protein coffee first thing, gets me 27-30g off the top of the day. I use 2-3 scoops of Nectar Unflavored and sometimes a scoop of Click coffee flavor if I don't have a pot going.. If I'm having a normal day, the rest of my meals will give me what I need, if not, I get in one more shake in the evening- either a single scoop in Chai tea or one of the other flavors I have.. 

I cannot tolerate the "milky" protein drinks.. I like the watery ones, so I use Syntrax Nectars.. If you haven't tried these- here's an email I got from them regarding a sample pack deal.. You may find one you like. Until then, I can recommend the Nectar Medical Unflavored- and add a scoop to things like tea, coffee, soups, whatever you are drinking.. easy way to get in a little more protein every day. 

We are currently offering a one time only, limit one per person special on theNectar ‘Variety Sampler’ containing 13 full serving packets of the following flavors:  Apple Ecstasy, Caribbean Cooler, Crystal Sky, Fuzzy Navel, Lemon Tea, Pink Grapefruit, Roadside Lemonade, Strawberry Kiwi, Twisted Cherry, Chocolate Truffle, Strawberry Mousse, Vanilla Bean Torte and Latte Cappuccino.  The price is $13.00.  The Nectar Variety Sampler receives FREE SHIPPING and orders typically arrive in 2-5 business days via UPS Ground.  If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please give us a call at 866-333-7403 x 801.  Our hours are Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm Central time.

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/11 4:30 am
(deactivated member)
on 12/16/11 4:35 am
Hey Don, have you tried Cytomax? To me, I preferred it to Isopure.. Specifically Cytomax Watermelon (best imo) or Tangerine flavor.. Still overly strong for my tastes, needed to dilute them over a lot of ice.. but better.
(deactivated member)
on 12/16/11 4:45 am
(deactivated member)
on 12/16/11 4:48 am
They may have it- I ordered it online at Amazon way back when.. 2 cases. Still working through them. 
Happy966
on 12/16/11 4:39 am

I am almost 4 months out and I eat 650-800 calories per day - I am averaging 720 cal/day and 85 g protein.  I do at least one protein supplement in the morning, and I average about 80-90 oz of fluid (water and decaf coffee).  I use almond milk as a creamer in my coffee (and sometimes a little bit of half-and-half), so I average about 200 calories between protein and almond milk, then 450-600 in solid food.  Maybe once a week I'll have a latte with skim milk, so on that day I'll have a few more liquid calories than normal.

It's probably a good idea to track your protein and calories for a while.  You may be over or under estimating.  I don't think I could get my protein in without a supplement.  I have tried, but I only seem to be able to "eat" about 60 g of protein a day, and I really want to be over 70 g.  I have also started eating more vegetables over the past month and really enjoying that.  So for now, drinking 23 g of protein a day works out well.

I love a scoop of Optimum Nutrition's Toffee and Caramel or Syntrax Nectar's Chocolate Truffle in my coffee every morning.  I really look forward to it.

Hope this helps!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

debk21
on 12/16/11 5:07 am - Mansfield, TX
I am a year out and recently hit goal.  I'm still working on an additional 5-10 pounds of leeway so still eating at my losing levels.  I eat approx 700-800 cals per day. My protein is always over 60 and sometimes over 100.  I drink the pre-made pure protein chocolate shakes that I pick up at Sam's for 30g in one drink.  I don't have to do this everyday, but drink them when my protein is low that day.  I eat lots and lots of chicken (chicken meatballs, chicken sausage w/garlic & mozzarella, chicken sausage w/spinach & aged cheddar, grilled strips and breasts).  I'll be plucking feathers out my butt soon...but the protein is good and it's low in fat, unlike red meat.  Your weighloss is great, so just up your protein by making a few changes to your normal diet.  It's really important for you to weigh/measure your food and keep a daily log.  I use Fatsecret which has an andriod and iphone app and it's super easy to keep track.  Good luck and keep that protein up!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 129 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 383 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 418 views