Pylorus & Common Bile Duct Issues

christy217
on 12/18/11 1:55 pm - Mechanicsville, MD
Hello All,

I'm still alive, but barely, at least that's how I feel. I had a VSG w/hernia repair done lap on 11/15, I was 197 then, today I am 161. I just got out of the hospital for massive dehydration.

I had colon cancer previously in 2006 with a total colectomy, which means all of my large intestine with 1/3 of my rectum has been removed, I also had a lap chole and ERCP done on 10/08.

My surgeon from Blue Point Surgical Group in NoVA knew this. I expected my surgery to have some issues with my history.

However, since then, I've had a UTI, yeast infection X2, my BUN is less than 1, my other liver enzymes have doubled, my pancreas enzyme has tripled. Last week they stated I had pancreatitis. I was admitted Wed of this week through yesterday.

I have only seen my surgeon 4x, once at the initial consult, once the day before surgery, surgery and when he admitted me to the hospital that evening. I keep getting pushed to the PA, which I love PAs but this isn't working. I seen 3 different people from his practice while I was in the hospital, four dietians and still no answers.

Two of the dietians thought I needed a scope or ERCP immediately, as did several of the nurses. My UGI showed reflux back into the common bile duct and spincterectomy, which apparently I had when I had the gallbladder removed.

I go to the bathroom anywhere from 30-40+ times a day depending on what I eat/drink, which isn't much.

They don't want me to have any fat, sugar, caffeine, carbonated beverages, and I do practice good eating hygience, don't drink 30 minutes before or after, chew up to 25 times, small bites, no straws, no gum chewing.

I eat and within minutes I have excurating pain, left arm/shoulder pain, burbing and spitting back up, pain in my chest mid way through below to my breast bone. Then after I go to the potty about 15 minutes after and am back and forth consistently. I think I have a bile issue because I am producing too much, all of my stool REAKS and is like mountain dew or orange in color, it's all liquid never solidified. My doc/PAs told me this is normal, my body needs to adjust to each specific food, however, everything I eat is pureed, and it's only applesauce and cottage cheese now. I drink sobe, propel fitness water and water to stay hydrated.

They have not done a vitamin panel on me since before my surgery, but were giving me potassium and magnesium in the hospital and I wasn't even low, when I asked the doc he literally just stared at me, and told me I was being "difficult".

I am at a loss, I did my research these docs were supposed to be great, I've never been treated like this by a medical professional.

I don't know which step to take next. Does anyone know of any docs in the DC/MD/VA area? I am going to call my primary tomorrow, but I fear, having been in the medical field, no doc will want to take over and will say go back to your surgeon.

I'm at the point of giving up.
sunnymicki
on 12/18/11 4:15 pm
I'm sorry you are having such a tough time.  I don't have any real answers, except to say that what your doc/PA describes as normal after surgery adjustment to food doesn't sound at all normal to me. 

A doc who tells you that you are being "difficult" when you ask a question is not one that I would want to have either.  I think I would call your surgeon and ask for a referral to another surgeon for a second opinion regarding your problems.  Perhaps if it is a referral from the original surgeon, the new one will be more willing to take on your case.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

cassandra1021
on 12/18/11 10:44 pm - MD
Wow, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time and I'm praying for your recovery.  My surgeon is pretty good.  He did my lapband and will be doing my sleeve revision next week.  He's at Virginia Hospital Center his name is Dr. J R Salameh.  I was tempted to go to your doctor's office in the beginning but something lead me to  my suregeon so I went with it.

I hope this info helps....get well soon!!
I have a ways to go, but by the grace of God I will reach my goal!!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 79 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views