ff refried beans with melted cheese = PUREED?????

SleevedLife
on 12/26/11 5:37 am
I am so confused.  I thought I understood the definition of pureed.  I thought it mean something thin enough that it could be sipped through a straw.  Chunk-free, liquidy stuff - like stage 1 baby food.

I'm moving from full liquids to purees later in the week and I'm trying to learn what my options are.  Like a moron, I lost the ONE page in my big WLS binder from my surgeon that discusses pureed! D'oh!! 

But, anyway, I am hoping someone here can help set me straight.  I've seen a lot of people talk about eating refried beans with melted cheese in the puree stage.  Aside from the fact that the beans seem like a pretty carby choice, I don't understand about the melted cheese.  Unless it's like nasty processed "nacho cheese" sauce, how could melted shredded cheese be considered a puree?

I also saw a mouth-watering recipe on eggface's website for ricotta bake.  It sounds SO GOOD.  But, again, this has parmesan and also shredded mozzarella.  So it sounds like she also considers melted cheese to be puree.

What definition of puree were you given?  I might be totally misunderstanding what is  meant by pureed foods.   Maybe it's a lot more substantial than I thought.  After a week of puree, I am to go on 2 weeks of "soft foods".  So, if that helps, my surgeon definitely considers those to be seperate stages.

I do plan to contact my NUT after they are back in the office from the holidays. In the meantime, thanks for sharing any insight with me. ;)    I'd looooove to make that ricotta bake, but I'm nervous about it not being a "true" puree.    I'd rather always err on the side of caution, so if there is disagreement I'll just stay on full liquids a bit longer until I can talk to my NUT about things.

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

Jocelyn P.
on 12/26/11 5:47 am - San Antonio, TX
One of the first things I remember eating was refried beans. I watered them down a little bit, measured 1/4 cup and mashed them up with a fork. (no cheese yet)  I believe that was pureed.
The definition of purees that I was given was the consistency of apple sauce. That's why I watered the beans down....just a little.

That ricotta bake is yummy, but don't push things. That might be a soft food, with the melted cheese and all.

hope that helps.

5' tall  HW209/SW194/CW153.4/GW140
It's never too late to be who you might have been. ~George Eliot  

SleevedLife
on 12/26/11 5:50 am
Thanks for your response!!   Yeah, I could see needing to water down the beans for sure.  If I remember them correctly (it's been a while since I had these) they kind of come out of the can in the shape of the can. LOL!  So they are pretty think.  I might skip the beans, though, just due to the carbs.

Good to hear the ricotta bake is as yummy as it sounds.  I agree it may be more of a soft food than a puree.  I can wait another week for that.  It'll be something to look forward to. 

Nutshell:

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

edelu
on 12/26/11 7:17 am - los angeles, CA
i put my beans in a pot with 2 tbls of chicken broth, heated them, put them in the blender, then whipped some shredded cheese into them, some Greek yogurt on top and a couple shakes of hot sauce.  it was the best tasting thing i thought I'd ever had.  they did sit like a lead balloon though and i could only manage a tbls at a time but after the liquids they tasted like heaven.
vacationlover
on 12/26/11 5:48 am
SleevedLife
on 12/26/11 5:52 am
Thank you for the response - that makes sense! 

Maybe I could add greek yogurt and a little unflavored protein powder to the beans to help make them more bariatric friendly?  I'm still nervous about eating beans, though. 

Thanks again!

Nutshell:

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

vacationlover
on 12/26/11 6:01 am
baseball-fan
on 12/26/11 7:03 am
 I am so glad this was posted.  I have been confused on the purees, too.  I start my purees on Wednesday.  I plan to stick with unsweetened applesauce, yogurt, cottage cheese, sf pudding for the first several days.  I'm on purees for two weeks before I start on soft foods.  That ricotta bake and the refried bean with cheese sound wonderful, but I'm going to err on the side of caution and save those for the soft phase unless I change my mind.
HW 248  SW 232  CW 159  GW 145
VSG Surgery 12/12/11
SleevedLife
on 12/26/11 7:08 am
Glad I'm not the only one confused!  I think I'm going to hold off on the ricotta bake until soft foods too.

Nutshell:

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

mandyc1975
on 12/26/11 6:59 am - Richardson, TX
VSG on 09/20/11 with
my first meal after liquids was refried beans. I measured 2 oz on a small plate and then I melted a slice of 2% american cheese on top. The 2% american cheese slices melts very well in the microwave and it really thinned the beans out enough to eat.
I didn't blend it or any thing but I did take small bites and chewed really well.
Do not ask God to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

9/4 (pro op) 299 lbs - 9/20 (surgery day) 285 lbs - 10/4 268 lbs - 11/7 251 lbs- 12/8 239 lbs - 1/9 222 lbs - 2/7 214 lbs - 3/3 202 lbs - 3/19 194 lbs ... 9/20/2012 - 142 lbs
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 85 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views