STRANGE SKIN ODOR

california42
on 1/5/12 12:25 pm
HELLO EVERYONE!  HAD SUGERY DECEMBER 14TH. HAVE LOST 20LBS SINCE THE DAY OF SURGERY. I WAS WONDERING DID ANYONE ELSE HAVE A STRANGE SCENT COMING FROM YOUR SKIN. IT'S NOT FROM THE INCISIONS. JUST IN GENERAL. COULD IT BE ALL OF THE PROTEIN?  60-80MG PER DAY.  I AM ON THE PUREED FOOD, 2 WEEKS RIGHT NOW. GO TO SOFT FOOD NEXT WEEK. I FEEL REALLY GOOD.  ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREAT. MY NEXT DR. APPT IS IN FEB. HAS SUGERY THROUGH FONTANA KAISER PERMANENTE, DR. FEDORKA.
(deactivated member)
on 1/5/12 12:30 pm
You're probably in ketosis, which can cause your breath, skin and urine to smell off.
Ohcam
on 1/5/12 1:36 pm
The high protein/low carb diet favors use of fats as energy source (ketogenesis) as opposed to carbs. One symptom is bad breath. Acetone is a volatile ketone body that is produced during ketosis. If your breath smells of acetone (sweetish odor, similar to nail polish remover, then you're not only in ketosis, but bordering acidosis, which bears reals clinical implications. I would take to your healthcare team sooner than later if this is the case. But I doubt this is likely....

....More likely than not, the odors are a consequence of dramatic change in diet. As you begin to adjust, these should subside. But I think most have had some bad bouts of halitosis immediately post op. Hope this helps. Best of luck
 HW: 332  PrOW: 285 SW:266  CW:149 GW:140  5'3" 27
   LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Ohcam
on 1/5/12 1:45 pm
To add, the reasons why I think it's not necessarily ketosis, because in "healthy" folks, insulin typically regulates high levels of ketogenesis. This may be a different scenario if you have T2DM (type 2 diabetes mellitus) and insulin levels are insufficient. Again, I think you are just adjusting to the changes in diet post op.
Tracy L.
on 1/5/12 12:58 pm - Longview, WA
Are you taking liquid Vitamins?  I had to stop taking liqued B vitamin because I could smell it coming out of my skin.
P_B
on 1/5/12 1:01 pm - Norfolk, VA
Ohh yeah, I had/intermittently have terrible breath.
Shower with a scented or stronger scented body wash

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views