Burping after every bite??

Stronger1
on 1/5/12 9:33 am - Charlotte, NC
I'm trying to get the hang of this post surgery eating thing...Anyone constantly burp when eating or drinking?  No matter how small the bite I take is, I burp after each bite.  Several times.  Does anyone else have this issue and do you know what I can do to make it stop??  I know I am not eating too much because I'm only eating about 2 ounces at a time, and I know I'm not eating to fast because I time 2 minutes between bites.  This makes me nervous I don't want to put too much pressure on my sleeve.  What am I doing wrong?

tillmadd
on 1/5/12 9:37 am - WI
I had the same issue and my surgeon put me on Nexium...Life is sooooo much better! Are you taking anything for gas or acid?
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

Ms. Poker Face
on 1/5/12 9:39 am
I burped often early out, especially when drinking.  It got better over time.

A PPI, like Nexium or Prilosec, might help.

Also, two oz at a time may be too much for you this early out.  How does it go when you only eat one oz?

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Stronger1
on 1/5/12 10:32 am - Charlotte, NC
I am on Prilosec, have been since surgery.  I burp no matter what the amount is...starts after about the 2nd bite.  I am eating with a baby spoon!!!  I am not feeling fullness even with 2 ounces of soft solids, but I am satisfied.  Is this normal?

Ms. Poker Face
on 1/5/12 10:54 am
I think burping is pretty normal.  It's your tummy releasing trapped air... because you are swallowing the air when you eat/drink.  For me, the burping got better with time.  

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/12 10:35 am
I'm with you on the burping! It doesn't matter if I weigh out 1 oz or 100 oz to eat or how small a bite I take! I start burping with  the very first bite! It has gotten better this week, but it still happens. I've been dealing with major gas for two days, too. So every time I sip my water, I get a gas cramp and then burp. I found out from Kimbethin that the Pepcid I take only works on acid, not gas. So if this continues I'm getting some Gas X strips.
My surgeon said the burping is normal, though only some people get it. He said it would go away by about 2 months. That's what I'm hoping for!

Stronger1
on 1/5/12 11:24 am - Charlotte, NC
That is good to know! Glad I'm not the only one!

tabb
on 1/5/12 11:11 am
 I burped all the time the first couple months after surgery. I still burp a lot more than before (and I use to drink A LOT of diet pop) but it's much better and more controlable. I usually only have a lot of burping if I eat to fast or to much now but that's my own fault. It really should get better with some time :) Also I don't think burping puts to much pressure on your sleeve if anything it relieves the gases inside. 

dittodotv
on 1/5/12 11:16 am
I burp too, but usually not until I've had about 1-2 oz. However, I am having horrible acid reflux, even tho I am now taking omeprezale (sp?) in the morning. I hate eating. I am trying to eat small bites, chewing carefully, it took me 30 min. to eat one scrambled egg with a little cheese and then I felt horrible afterwards. I called my PA's office and she said since I have moved from Pepcid to Omeprezale, the only other way I can go is to try Nexium and so she is trying to get that approved by my surgeon. However, she also said I may still have swelling too, so instead of moving onto other phases, just ease up on the food, go back to purees if I have to, and continue the protein shakes.

So I do understand what you are talking about - the minute I start eating all the noises start, and the burps come towards the end of my 2 oz.

We'll make it through this tough time - I'm sure of it - 3 months from now we will be the ones offering advice, right? I hope it gets better for you!!

50yr. old female 5'8" / HW 363 / ConsW 346 / SW 333 / CW 184.4

Stronger1
on 1/5/12 11:26 am - Charlotte, NC
I certainly hope so!!!

Most Active