I understand not eating bread, floury stuff..but why such low carb diet after sleeve?

46_11tobeme
on 1/8/12 1:10 am - NJ
 I always eat protein first, and still have a protein shake daily to meet my protein needs. After that, I eat fruits and vegetables. I am a Registered Dietitian and it was very important to me to be able to eat a balanced diet after surgery. I didnt get fat on fruits and veggies. I eat as many vegetables as I can - there are micronutrients, enzymes, etc in produce that you cant get in vitamin pills. I eat fruit but in smaller amounts - maybe 1/2 - 1 serving a day. There are many people here who limit carbs to the point that they wont touch the healthy carbs and I do not agree with this. I do stay away from bread, rice, pasta, potato, etc - I have no room and they are not nutrient dense foods. While carb addiction is an issue for many obese people, the carbs that are a problem are usually sweets, crackers, bread, chips, etc. I never binged on fruits and vegetables, and they certainly didnt send me to the freezer for a bowl of ice cream. Gather research and do what you think is best for your body. I dont feel good when I dont include produce in my diet. 

This is also not a "diet" but a long term approach to weight loss. The idea is to develop healthy eating and exercise habits that you can maintain for life. 

MyOwnSunshine
on 1/8/12 1:16 am
I don't eat ultra-low carb.  I eat fruit, veggies, including starchy ones, and occasional bread and still lose. 
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
sunnymicki
on 1/8/12 2:33 am, edited 1/8/12 2:34 am
I completely agree with what hollykim said.

I have found that refined carbs make me hungry and make me crave more carbs. That craving feeling is one that I do not want to have to deal with ever again! It is seriously a bad feeling to be standing in the kitchen with a handful of cheerios and an open box wondering what the heck you're doing to yourself. If I can avoid that by eating a low carb diet, then it is a no-brainer.

I can eat small amts of whole grains (specifically bread from Julian Bakery and Toufayan pitas) without having the above problem. But they are almost all fiber carbs, which actually have a stabilizing effect on blood sugar. And also high protein.

I usually eat about 1/4 C of steamed or roasted veggies each day, and they aren't a problem. And some baby spinach in a small grilled chicken salad is also fine for me. I haven't tried potatoes or corn (high carb stuff) though.

I haven't tried fruit, other than a bite here or there, so I can't speak to that. If I add in fruit, it will be "high value" stuff like berries.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

Krazydoglady
on 1/8/12 4:48 am - FL
11 Months Post-op, I don't have much space, still, beyond protein.  It natually limits my carb intake.  After protein, I eat green veggies first then other veggies and low glycemic fruits. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 361 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views