I understand not eating bread, floury stuff..but why such low carb diet after sleeve?

goingforit1
on 1/7/12 10:20 am
VSG on 02/04/12 with
So, it's my understanding that after the sleeve one needs to eat a low carb diet.  I totally get why one wouldn't want to be eating a lot of breads, rice, pastas, etc because they tend to bulk up in the stomach and aren't great for weight loss, as well as one needs to get the protein down first.   But why do you have to watch so closely the carbs in fruits and other food items that don't contain flour?

I want to learn the reasons so I can respect the rule and comply. :)  

thanks!
moonglo82
on 1/7/12 10:26 am, edited 1/6/12 10:31 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
This is just my understanding of it, but here goes...

In the first several months after surgery, you can hold such a little amount of food at a time that they want you to focus on protein to make sure you are getting enough protein in. That and several fruits contain high amounts of citric acid, which can supposedly be uncomfortable to digest until your new pouch is 100% healed.

My husband is a year out, and he can now eat pretty much anything he wants. For him, it was all about adding foods back in slowly to make sure his new stomach could handle what he was eating.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

GreenGardener
on 1/7/12 10:39 am
VSG on 06/02/09 with
 Everyone is different.  I have found that I can eat strawberries and apples without affecting my insulin level or my weight loss.  Most other fruits stop it dead.  Most fruit is fairly high sugar.  
 SD:  6/09; HW:  263;  LW:  143; CW:  155; 5'5"; 62 yo
(deactivated member)
on 1/7/12 10:42 am
 I think moonglo is pretty close to the point on this.  You will need to get your proteins in first and for most people I think they should try to move from shakes as time permits to real protein foods.  I save my shakes to supplement my needs on days of moderate to intense exercise.  

Also, as explained by one of the vets, getting in your dense protein food helps the stomach get full and remain full longer because the pylorus valve closes and stays closed longer.  That is part of the way to get your stomach to restrict the volume of food you eat.  Carb based foods do not do that.  

Many folks report that carbs cause them to binge.  Carbs can also have a major impact on blood sugars which can have its own undesirable traits if they tend to swing a lot.  

I think the trick is to keep the carbs down early especially if you are not big on higher intensity exercise.  Once you get firmly on your feed and understand how the traditional approach works for you, then add other food types in slowly and monitor how they work for you.  

But, to address your fruit carb thing more directly.  I would be concerned on the simple sugar aspects they tend to bring.

acbbrown
on 1/7/12 11:15 am - Granada Hills, CA
 But they also bring potassium, and vit C and lots of other things we need :)

Ive been eating fruit for a couple months - no drastic difference in WL, but I sure love them :)  Now granted, I can only eat them in 1/2 cup servings (and usually once a day as a snack). 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/12 11:34 am
 True but are you getting that much potassium from a 1/2 cup serving of any fruit?  My go-to in that area is Low Sodium V8 which uses potassium chloride.  My other go-to for potassium has been Pure Protein Snack Gelatin but I'm not sure if I will get it anymore because the protein is a proprietary blend listing callagenic protein first.  But it contains 1560 mg of potassium which is about 45% RDA!  

Still, as once I get into maintenance, I am definitely going to be adding more fruit & veggies.  I think the point was to explain the potential pitfalls of carbs.  IMHO, the sugary carbs are best added with extreme care to avoid too many at 1 time and to get a good feel how they work for you.  

goingforit1
on 1/7/12 10:52 am
VSG on 02/04/12 with
Thank you!! That helps a lot!
hollykim
on 1/7/12 12:19 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
A carb is a carb,whether it comes from white flour items ,also known as junk food,or from whole grains and fruit.  While the fiber and vitamins and minerals we get from the whole grains and fruit  is good for us, not being realistically able to get enough of those good things is why we take vitamins and other supplements.

For many of us,myself included,bread and white flour items,including chips,etc,don't bulk up in the sleeve,they actually go to mush REAL quick in our sleeves,leaving us hungry and usually hungry for more bread or chips or whatever.  Have you ever seen a piece of bread in water? Goes to mush almost instantly. Same thing in our sleeves. It makes it VERY easy for us to overeat on these items and they are basically empty calories,no nutrition there.

Fruits turn into simple sugar in our blood streams real quick causing an insulin spike. the body processes that sugar really quickly for quick energy too. That causes your insulin to fall as quickly as it went up,making our bodies instantly crave more quick sugar energy. As long as there is simple sugar floating around in the blood ( fruit) the body will burn it and not burn stored fat.

Some people,who have not ruined their metabolism and insulin responses from too much sugar over a long period of time and from yo-yo dieting ( I don't fall in this category) can eat some whole grains and fruits and lose just fine. Personally,I think they are vastly in the minority,but that is just my thinking.  Then there are the rest of us. We are very carb sensitive from the above mentioned issues and we CAN'T eat hardly any carbs or our loss stops in it's tracks.

Then there is the issue of our body having to hold a certain amount  of water to process every gram of carbs we eat.  This process takes about a week and it is the "water weight" you have heard about and I personal;ly believe it accounts for many of the "stalls" you also see posted.

Then,there is the carb addiction issue. I fall heavily in this category. It is documented that the symptoms of carb addiction are exactly the same as those of cocaine addiction and the withdrawal symptoms from carbs is also exactly that of withdrawing from cocaine. For many of is it is a "one is too many 1000 is not enough" issue. We have to treat our addictions to carbs just like an alcoholic or a cocaine addict or a nicotine addict treats their addictions. We just don't go there. We try to be abstinent every day and it is a life long affair, not just for a few months of weight loss.

After you are sleeved,you will have to make your own choices and find your own path. GL

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/12 3:08 pm
I actually don't see a problem with veggies and fruits. My surgeon agrees. Never saw anyone get fat on fruits and veggies.

If you find yourself eating a half cup post surgery, you'll have an issue with getting in your protein so always stick to the protein first rule.

I eat about 1/4 cup each of veggies and fruit each day, no cravings, no issues with blood sugar, and its usually not at once. After my protein I might eat 1/4 banana or a few grapes or a big strawberry.
Most of my veggies are salad with dinner, maybe a few bites or so.
doggz109
on 1/7/12 8:11 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
My dietician has simple rules.....eat protein and produce.  Protein first always to make sure you reach your daily goals....after that....whatever produce you want....meaning appropriate vegetables and fruits. 

Breads, pasta, rice, etc are not even in the discussion.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 68 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 253 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views