Told to lose weight and get in shape

Grumpcarebear
on 1/9/12 6:58 am - Red deer, Canada
 Several years ago I was in a vehicle accident that caused back issues. I have degenerative back disease and a herniated disk and my nerve is pinched right now......in sooooo much pain.  Before my weight lose surgery, I took a anti inflammatory med that I can no longer take. So I went to a walk in clinic and told the dr my concerns. I asked if there was anything else I could take for pain. He looked at me and then checked my tummy???? then said rudely " you need to lose weight and get in shape". He said there is nothing wrong with your back, just get in shape. I left the office and started crying my eyes out.  I am working my ass off trying to live a healthy lifestyle, and working on myself. What right does a dr have to put a patient down that way.  Needless to say, I'm still in pain and now I feel like a piece of crap.
Sorry.....had to vent

moonglo82
on 1/9/12 7:09 am
VSG on 03/29/12
How horrible!

Is there another doctor you can go to? That one sounds like a total moron. Even if you do work on losing weight, that won't stop the pain for right that minute!

By the way, I see that you already are well on your way to losing weight Don't let him make you feel bad; he clearly didn't know what he was talking about.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

(deactivated member)
on 1/9/12 7:13 am - CA
What a Dick!!
infodiva808
on 1/9/12 7:14 am
Unfortunately, just another example of predjudice! So sorry you were hurt like that. Did he even look at your x-rays? How ignorant!

trayb17
on 1/9/12 7:31 am
VSG on 01/05/12
That doctor is a total ass! I spent years with doctors blaming my back, neck and joint pain on my weight only to find out that I have rheumatoid arthritis! Go to a different doctor and file a complaint against the jerk you just saw. This type of prejudice makes me so mad!! I am sorry you had to experience that...have you tried tylenol? How about a heating pad? I hope you find some relief soon!
KSqtpie
on 1/9/12 7:56 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Oh, I am so sorry you're in pain right now :( I had a similar experience when I hurt my back at work a while back. I was barely able to walk due to an inflamed disc in my lower back and a pinched sciatic nerve. The workers comp doctor was a horrible horrible person and blamed my injury on my weight (although the injury was due to a fall because of a safety violation). I started to cry because I was in so much pain and begged him to just help me and not lecture me about being overweight because I couldn't immediately fix that. I told him if he wasn't going to help, I had no other choice but to go see my chiropractor. That comment sent in into a rage and he ripped up my chart right there in front of my face. I was mortified and left the office barely able to walk and bawling my eyes out!

Looking back, I wish I had reported him. No patient deserves to be treated that way. Absolutely stand up for yourself and report him for his neglegence.

In the meantime, I hope you feel better. There are a lot of caring doctors who will listen to you and work with you to find a way to remedy the problems you are having. You should NOT feel bad about yourself. This doctor has the problem, not you! good luck :)
AmberK
on 1/9/12 8:54 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
I will say a prayer for the doctor to learn so manners and to start putting himself in another's shoes! You keep your chin up and keep on keeping on the downward slide, you are already off to an amazing start.

Remember, when we try to do good things for ourselves, the devil will always try to ruin it, we cannot allow him to! 

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

Grumpcarebear
on 1/9/12 9:41 am - Red deer, Canada
 Thank you all for your kind words and support, makes me feel a lot better 

ruggie
on 1/9/12 10:51 am - Sacramento, CA
Man, not only would I have told him off, but I would indicate that if he wasn't to take my symptoms seriously that I would file a grievance with the state licensing board.

And then I would tell him he really needs to know a patient's history, as it can be insulting to tell someone to lose weight.... who is losing weight.  Regardless of losing weight or not, it doesn't magically end your pain.

You should have knee'ed him in the groin (*)

(*) Ruggie's lawyers say that you perform this at your own risk and may violate city, state, or federal laws by doing so

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

carrierae
on 1/9/12 12:43 pm - WA
I too am a chronic back pain patient. I have an extra vertabrae which causes so many problems including bulging disks and pinched nerves.

I know we arent supposed to take anti inflammatories but I would recommend calling your surgeon and asking. Taking some advil for a couple days for the anti inflammatory properties and icing the hell out of your back will help. I never believed that after being on prescription strength anti inflammatories for so long an advil would help but it actually does.

Being on them for a long time is no good, but taking them for a minimal amount of time just to calm down a flair up is another issue. This is information that I got from my surgeon not just my experience.

Carrie   HW: 334/Preop Appt W: 328/SW: 313/CW: 2  
preop: -21lbs, month 1: -28lbs, month 2: -16lbs, month 3: -18lbs, month 4: -11lbs,
month 5: -11lbs, month 6: -7lbs, ...all the way down. NOTE: after slacking I got back on track in Nov (month 12) and have lost 16lbs so far!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 254 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views