Ruggie?

Jamie_45
on 1/14/12 11:05 am - CA
VSG on 01/09/12
Has anyone heard from Ruggie?  Last week just as I was going in for my VSG he was having horrible problems with his stomach and they couldn't find out what the problem was.  Since he hasn't been all week (that I've seen) I'm worried that something was seriously wrong.  I pray he's okay as he's worked so hard.

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/12 11:09 am
He's been posting this week. It seems his problem was severe, severe reflux. I believe he said he had some further testing to be done, but that he was getting better.

onemoretry
on 1/14/12 11:12 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
Yep, no need to worry. Just saw a few post from him on the main board.
HT: 5'4"      HW: 251  SW: 237  CW: 172 GW: 135 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
"You can control how much water you drink, how much protein/carbs/cals you consume, and how much you exercise. FOCUS on those and not the scale, because no matter how hard we try, we do not control the scale." ~  acbbrown

ruggie
on 1/14/12 11:17 am - Sacramento, CA
Oh hey, no need to worry, I'm fine. :)  Between work and what feels like endless doctor's appointments, I've just been too busy to troll around the boards.  It's nice of you to ask about me though.

So, I had an upper GI yesterday which pretty much illustrated that I have no acid reflux whatsoever.  I met with my bariatric surgeon, who was really more helpful than all other four doctors that I've seen the past two weeks.

He thinks the upper chest pain I've been having is atypical esophagialitis, or possibly gallstones.  Probably the former.  The pain coming from when the smooth muscle tissue in my esophagus 'decides' to convulse on its own.  There are some complications that point toward my esophagus having spasm attacks (relating to another drug I'm on).  I'm still working it out, but finally with my bariatric surgeon's help, the medication he gave me is finally relieving my pain (anti-spasm drug). The two antacids (anti-proton pumps) and one ulcer drug I got from the previous doctors weren't doing anything to relieve my pain, because, I was NOT suffering from acid reflux).  :p  But once I mention I had bariatric surgery, they run off to "acid reflux" or "GERD".  I'm not even going to start complaining about the GI doctor I saw - it'll take me too long to stop.  

As soon as I get a definitive diagnosis and/or cure, I'll post the story (if anyone cares to hear a boring, long tale).  Next up for me is to have endoscopy so someone can look at my throat tissue, and an ultrasound to rule out gallstones.  So, stomach is ok, definitely have no reflux, finally have something that's looking useful, and glad to see you came out of your VSG ok!! :D 

And now that I know for a fact that I'm not experience reflux... I'm delighted to start eating super spicy foods again.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/12 11:26 am
Hey Ruggie,
I'm glad you're getting to the root of the issue. If it's gallstones, have the damn thing yanked. I was mis diagnosed with acute gastritis and suffered through several gallbladder attacks eating Zantac which did nothing. Finally I went to the ER and when the GI ****tail didn't work ..... was chronic GB disease. They yanked it. Don't miss it at all!
Good luck and do get better.

ruggie
on 1/14/12 11:33 am - Sacramento, CA
AH, one of the reasons we're leaning toward the esophagus is that the GI ****tail that I had did remove 50% of my pain immediately - the ER doc thought it was because of the mylanta and lidocaine; I think it's because of the anti-spasm drug in it (I think it's phenobarbitol???).  No worries, if it does turn out to be gallstones, I'll have it removed - I have been taking Actigall (ursodial) for the last six months, but my surgeon says 3% of people that take it still end up needing the gallbladder removed even while on the drug.

Thanks for your wishes!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Jamie_45
on 1/14/12 12:03 pm - CA
VSG on 01/09/12
I'm so relieved to know you've just been busy and not stuck in another hospital somewhere.  One word of warning... spicy, greasy foods are a definite trigger for bad gallbladder.  Those were the worst pains I've ever felt and hope for your sake that its esophogeal spasm and they can get you taken care of soon and easily!  Had great results for surgery, no pain, no nausea (am I a freak?) and the hardest part for me is sipping instead of normal swallow.  Hope we see you on the board more and thank you for responding.  You know I'm probably the oldest on this board so I tend to worry and Mother... I'll be waiting to hear the final diagnosis.

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/12 2:03 pm
I am glad you are figuring this thing out.  Yeah, I agree, Dr. Cirangle is the way to go here.  I am amazed at the ineptitude I run into when dealing with many other doctors.  Do you know what the treatment is, if it is spasms?  Would you have to stay on a anti-spasm drugs permanently?  I hope you can have this resolved and behind you very soon.
Tenacious88
on 1/14/12 2:39 pm - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14
Hey, Ruggie
                        Don't stay away to long, we miss communicating with you. Hope and pray all goes well for you.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views