What To Expect: Monday Is My Last Day Of Liquids

TonyEldridge
on 1/15/12 12:51 pm - Forney, TX
VSG on 12/28/11 with
 I was sleeved on 12/28 and tomorrow is my last day of a full liquid diet. Tuesday I start my soft foods (eggs, cottage cheese, soft cheese, lunch meat, etc...). I have been doing great on liquids and cream soups. I have not felt sick yet, nor have I over "eaten" on liquids. 

How much of a change should I expect when I start soft, solid foods? My doctor said I didn't need to puree my foods, just stick to what's on the list. I know solids won't run through me like the liquids did. I know I need to take the solids slowly.

Any advice or realistic expectations for me? I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Thanks
Tony

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/12 2:04 pm
Be easy on your sleeve. Take it slow and gradually move to softs. Keep some liquids in your day for the first few days. 

Measure out whatever it is you decide to try. I tried scrambled egg. Not the best choice. I kept it down, but it gave me major heartburn. I can eat an egg now, but I'd go with cottage cheese or really thin turkey lunch meat. Those have been very easy on my sleeve.

I don't feel "full" on the soft foods, so I always measure to make sure I don't accidentally overeat. Me, I say try starting with a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese and take it from there.

Good luck and have fun on the next step of the journey!
TonyEldridge
on 1/15/12 2:26 pm - Forney, TX
VSG on 12/28/11 with
 Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of measuring and eating rather than eating until I feel full.. at least until I get some experience under my belt. I think I'll pick up some thin turkey tomorrow :) 
Tony

Greg M.
on 1/15/12 9:32 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I've been on soft foods for a week and I constantly have to remind myself to eat slowly and chew completely.  I'll say it again eat very slowly.  Give yourself a few minutes in between bites to actually feel the food fill that tiny new tummy.  Good luck and EAT SLOW!

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

TonyEldridge
on 1/16/12 12:52 am - Forney, TX
VSG on 12/28/11 with
 Thanks, Greg. Eating slowly and chewing well seems to be the most common suggestion I read and hear. I'm off to the grocery store to buy for me for the first time in a month or so :) 

Thanks for the reminder. If I have any fear, it's forgetting to eat slow. Before the surgery, I wolfed down my food with just a few bites. Hopefully, that habit will die quickly. 
Tony

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 289 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 341 views