"too much" ketosis?

SleevedLife
on 1/17/12 4:22 am
I got my hands on some keto strips (ketosis testing strips) and started did some testing yesterday and today because my weight loss has slowed and I wanted to see if I was in ketosis.  I remember someone here saying that ketosis can be hard on your kidneys, and I am a bit worried about that.  I have had kidney stones in the past, and I definitely wouldn't want to encourage more of those - yikes.

Anyway, when I've tested both today and yesterday the test is SO DARK.  Very dark purple, almost black, and it turns dark immediately - I don't even have to count to the 15 seconds like the instructions say.  So it's as dark or a little darker than the darkest color on the bottle which shows how to interpret the results.  This is Bayer brand.

I've been drinking 60 oz of water a day or more, but maybe I'm a bit dehydrated due to a stuffy nose?  Could a little dehydration be to blame? 

I just don't understand if this is good or bad.  Should I be eating more carbs?  (Currently I get about 20 a day, sometimes 30). I'm paranoid about my kidneys.

Maybe I shouldn't use these strips.  It might just be unnecessary worry and wonder!

Thanks for sharing any insights.

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

Jackie00
on 1/17/12 4:34 am
Probably something to ask a doctor.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

Hislady
on 1/17/12 8:24 am - Vancouver, WA
I don't really trust the accuracy of these since I've never been able to get them to show me in ketosis even when I was eating lewss than 10 grams of carbs a day! Not once did they turn any color at all, I even checked the date on them to make sure they weren't old and they weren't but just never worked for me. Made it real frustrating to be that low in carbs and not see any change at all!
landdnurse2
on 1/17/12 9:33 am - Midwest City, OK
Ketones in your urine can be from dehydration. Best to up your fluids to 64 ounces or more!

HW 321 (9/08) SW 312 (1/11)  Pre-op 280 (11/1) Surgery 270 (12/11)
doggz109
on 1/17/12 12:17 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Ketosis is not dangerous.  It just means your body is burning fat for fuel instead of glucose.  Ketones are released into your urine, breath, and sweat as a result.

Your kidneys will be fine.  Drink more fluids! 
brilynn79
on 1/17/12 6:59 pm
 If you feel good with 20-30 g of carbs then you should be fine.

I am not a person who can handle ketosis, my body just does not function.  I have to have a minimum of 80 grams to make it through work, but most programs reccomend low carb.  I am thinking less than 50 grams is what should show up as ketosis on the strips.  It has been awhile since I have been in the adult world though.

You should always double check with your doctor:)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views