Is this normal?

LAldo
on 2/2/12 9:46 am - TX
Well, I am 10 days post op and can drink without much restriction. Not a large amount but certainly able to take big swigs and can drink 12 ounces in 15 minutes.

I can also thin a can of soup with milk and drink about 1/2 until I am very full. Is it normal to be able to drink and eat to this capacity?
"Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels"    
kam0520
on 2/2/12 9:51 am - AL
I have been wondering that same thing!!  My husband can barely get 20oz in a day and I can drink a 20oz water in about 20 mins.  I accidently took a big "gulp" without thinking and had no problems.  I am so thirsty too!

www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
katier825
on 2/2/12 10:05 am
Consider yourself lucky that you don't have difficulty with fluids! You must be a quick healer. Be cautious as you move on to mushy then solids though. It will take much less for you to feel restriction. Go slowly and start with an ounce or two. You will feel horrible if you eat too much or too fast.
Pkrplyr777
on 2/2/12 10:08 am - CT
Well first...Congrats on your surgery!

In the first month or so, a lot of things seem weird and it can change daily.
You describe mushys like soup and stuff.
It's probably an open plyoric valve which allows you to drink so much.
That can and will change.
I would suggest you stick to a measured amount of food and drink for the first few months so you don't overeat your sleeve.
If you are eating proteins, measure 2.5 oz and only eat that much. You will be full.
Water a little at a time.
Dont drink while you eat.

Basic rules to follow.

The first year is the time when the sleeve will be your best friend....if you treat it right.

Just because you CAN eat/drink it, doesn't mean you should.

Thats my humble opinion.

good luck
donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
RubyTues
on 2/2/12 11:16 am - Canada

Totally agree with above poster..
We don't take small sips of drinks cuz that's all we are able to do.. we do that cuz it's what we are supposed to do.  :)

Elaine H.
on 2/2/12 11:46 am
NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS
          VSG 3/21/11    HW 322  SW  298  CW  200 GW  175  5'7"    age 65                                                                           
(deactivated member)
on 2/2/12 11:30 pm - CA
I'm pretty sure the drinking post-op is varied. I could barely drink anything, but many peeps on here have no problem drinking. I think it's better if you can drink easily early out. Less risk of dehydration.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 149 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 422 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 442 views