Sometimes family just needs a lil reassurance

Lexie 84
on 2/8/12 12:40 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12
I am so relieved that my dad is now on board with me having surgery! I am from Chicago but now live in the DC area by myself. All my family is in Chicago. When I told them I was considering WLS, they pitched a fit! My mom is an RN, dad an occupational therapist, one sis a CNA and the other a personal trainer. None of them wanted to hear any of this "mess" I was talking. The past 6 months, my dad has given me hell, thinking "I'm taking the easy way out," "I've never been consistent with dieting/working out," "I need to get my BUTT to the gym!" yeah yeah yeah, ok Dad! I just kept on researching, visiting OH :), going to monthly visits and all my other appointments. So now, here we are, I'm done with everything and just waiting on a surgery date. I get a call from my dad this weekend and he's all excited about how he ran into an old female coworker who lost all this weight and was saying how great and healthy she looks. So he asked her what she'd been doing b/c his daughter was trying to loose weight. Lo and behold, guess what she says?! She told him she had WLS. And guess which one, " THE SLEEVE." So then she told him all about it and got him all excited. He was acting like he was hearing about it for the first time. Then he called me telling me that he wanted me to do the sleeve and that he wanted me to talk to this woman. Duh! I've been planning this for almost 8 months now dad! LOL I guess he didn't trust his lil girl (who by the way is actually a grown educated woman with good federal government benefits!) But I'm just happy now that he is on board, so of course the rest of my family will follow :) I am RELIEVED!

pparks3215
on 2/8/12 1:25 am - DC
VSG on 05/15/12 with
Glad your family is on board!! Good Luck on your surgery.
fireman441
on 2/8/12 1:35 am - CT
VSG on 03/26/12
thats funny thanks and best of luck ...
Lexie 84
on 2/8/12 1:37 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12
thanks you all! :)

George B.
on 2/8/12 1:41 am - Miami, FL
Funny how easily he believed a stranger and not his daughter.
This is often the case with family.
Funny story!

Good luck on your surgery and I'm glad your father now suppports your decision.

goingforit1
on 2/8/12 1:42 am
VSG on 02/04/12 with
haha...gotta love parents. So glad he's on board now, I'm sure that will make the process smoother with some support!

Best of luck to ya!
cheyrobin
on 2/8/12 1:53 am - Cheyenne, WY
Great story!  I too am sort of having this problem with my parents - my mom is a little more supportive, although not enough to actually come out from California to be with me for the surgery.  However, my dad is like yours - he's worried about the surgery, he (who has never had a weight problem) thinks that I should just go on a diet and exercise more (because he sees my mom lose weight doing this - although she's like me a yoyo dieter, she loses and then gains it all back plus more weight). 

Glad to hear your dad came around! 
Vrtualfire
on 2/8/12 2:29 am - MN
VSG on 01/13/12
That is kind of funny Lexie! But glad to hear he is comign around. Good for you, some people dont know all we go through and it definitely is not the easy way out.  

Lexie 84
on 2/8/12 3:11 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12
On February 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM Pacific Time, Vrtualfire wrote:
That is kind of funny Lexie! But glad to hear he is comign around. Good for you, some people dont know all we go through and it definitely is not the easy way out.  
"some people dont know all we go through and it definitely is not the easy way out. "

Preach preacha! :)

Most Active