Any scientific reason for just plain not budging?

TheBiscuit
on 2/8/12 3:55 am - TX
Plateaus happen, I'm not new to this. Thankfully mine only last a week or so. It is absolutely mind boggling, though, to consume 1,100 calories in 3 days, over 300 ounces of water AND strenuous exercise and not budge a single ounce on the scale. I know it's normal for this to happen, but any science geeks have a reason why?
emelar
on 2/8/12 4:12 am - TX
Heck, a week or so isn't a plateau.  It isn't even a stall!  It's just an adjustment period.

I'm no science geek, but I can tell you that my body flunked math, particularly the calories in/calories burned/weight loss calculations.

A couple of reasons I'm familiar with - your body stores glycogen for quick energy.  You burn the glycogen and you lose some pounds.  The body will immediately try to repleni****s glocogen supply.  With every pound of glycogen, it needs 2 pounds of fluid to store it (or something like that).  So, if you replenishing your 3 pounds of glycogen, you're also packing on 6 pounds of fluid.  This accounts for that fast 10 pounds of "fluid" that we've all lost at the start of diets.  It's an ongoing process, so the scales are always fluctuating.

And then there's exercise.  You exercise, particularly with weights, you tear muscles.  This sounds awful, but it's a good thing.  Your body rushes to fix the tears and it brings along a bunch of fluid to help with the job.  So, again, you're retaining water.  But, building up your muscle increases the amount of calories your body uses just to stand still.  Muscle burns more calories than fat.  Short term, you're gaining water weight.  Long term, you're burning more calories just sitting around with all your new muscle.
Most Active