Deciding between bypass and sleeve... Are you happy with your decision?

Michelle10929
on 2/10/12 10:27 am - NC
I have my first meeting with the surgeon on 2/22. I went into the information session thinking I was going to go with the sleeve, but now I'm just not 100%.

I'm curious if any of you wish that you would have gone with the bypass, and why? Or, are you totally in love with the decision you made.. and why.

I understand the risks and restrictions between the two, but I would really like to hear first hand from real people.

I have read that there aren't a lot of the same restrictions like the bypass but then the flipside is that the results aren't as great.

Excited but torn.. and I need to make a decision!

Thanks everyone :)
Maria P.
on 2/10/12 10:33 am
VSG on 01/09/12
I never considered the bypass since I am a relative lightweight, but so far I love my sleeve. I'm still learning how to adjust to it at a month out but I woul definitely do it again, no regrets!
5'3"  Age 38

HW: 216
Month 1: 20.6
Michelle10929
on 2/10/12 10:45 am - NC
We're similar.. I'm 40/5'3/220...
I've already gotten from a friend "but you're not that big!"
Yah well I tell myself that a lot, and then I tell myself... "well yah Michelle, you kinda are." LOL
Maria P.
on 2/10/12 10:54 am
VSG on 01/09/12
Yeah, in my mind I'm not a "lightweight", but members of this forum consider our weights to be so. It's good that we're doing something about it now rather than later though!
5'3"  Age 38

HW: 216
Month 1: 20.6
Ms. Poker Face
on 2/10/12 10:44 am
I LOVE my sleeve and I especially love that it allowed me to keep my pyloric valve.  That's the thing at the bottom of the stomach that holds solid foods in the stomach while digestion is starting.  RNYers don't get to keep theirs and food tends to slide through easier.

As for weight loss comparison, the VSG and bypass actually have similar results.  I am 7.5 months post op and have already lost 96% of my excess weight.  I fully intend to lose 100% of my excess weight (4 more pounds to go!) and a little more to give myself a buffer.  

With either surgery, it still depends upon the patient's compliance to post-op eating & exercise.  The surgery is just a tool to help you be successful.  And for me, I couldn't have done it this well without the surgery.  And I truly believe it will help me keep the weight off long term as long as I continue to use it as intended.

Good luck with your decision!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Krazydoglady
on 2/10/12 10:50 am, edited 2/10/12 10:52 am - FL
Most recent findings suggest VSG is at least as effective as RNY for losing and maintaining weightloss.  I frankly couldn't be happier with my decision.  I started at a BMI of 51. it was 46 on the date of my surgery. 12 months later, I was in the 23's.   Having the stomach removed removes much of the tissue that can produce the hormone ghrelin from the body which greatly reduces hunger. I really have none, per se.  I can eat pretty much whatever I want but in relatively small quantities.  My recovery was very easy, and I was on the treadmill one day post-op.  

I worried that malabsorption could be an issue with my meds, etc, particularly as I got older.  RNY malabsorption of calories stops after a couple of years, but malabsorption of vitamins does not.  Given the iron and thyroid hormone issue (interrelated and potentially complicated by issues with my adrenal glands)  I'm having right now, it was a good call.  If I was going to have a surgery with malabsorption, I'd go for DS -- basically VSG plus.malabsorption.  The malabsorption may decrease some with time, but it remains.  DS overall has the best long-term results of all the WLS; however, it also, arguably, takes the most dilligence. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Sleeva
on 2/10/12 10:57 am - GA
VSG on 07/19/12
You have done great what is your exercise routine?
Krazydoglady
on 2/10/12 11:32 am - FL
Thanks! 

To start, I get up from my desk and walk for 10 minutes 2x daily, every day.  It's not really my 'exercise' per se, but my mental health break.  I do about 6/10 of a mile each time.  I started this post-op to help prevent blood clots, and I found it really worked to reduce my stress level. 

Beyond that, I do cardio of some sort 5-7 days a week, I strength  train with a trainer 2x weekly, and I do another day of strength on my own. I'm not a gym rat. I'd rather go for a run outside with one of my dogs, bike, or swim.  This time of year that's all tough because I live in the country and the roads aren't all that safe to run in the dark (no sidewalks,e tc).  As a result, I do go the to the gym and work intervals, etc., on the treadmill or elliptical. 
Sleeva
on 2/11/12 9:19 am - GA
VSG on 07/19/12
Thanks for that info!
hwag5149
on 2/11/12 2:17 am
Do you happen to have those findings? I see people say that but I haven't read it for myself. I am definitely happy with my sleeve but I'd like to see that.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views