my first appt on valentines day

Lexi2012
on 2/12/12 12:21 am
VSG on 06/13/12
 Hi All,

First off, I think this forum is great.  I have been lurking around for the past few days and I find all of you to be encouraging to each other.  I just wanted to put that out there 

Next to my question....

I have been considering the gastric sleeve for some time, and have finally gotten the courage to begin the process.  My first appt is on Valentines Day  ( my way of showing myself some love )

I guess what I'm trying to get at is... what can I expect? I'm so nervous about the whole thing

Help pls
Lexi         
(deactivated member)
on 2/12/12 1:25 am
Are you meeting with the surgeon, or are you going to a group session informational seminar? I would make sure that you have read up on the surgery and have a list of questions for the surgeon. (Check out the VSG information box on the upper right hand side of the web page.) Many of my questions were answered during the seminar, but I kept the unanswered questions to ask when I met with the surgeon at my first appointment with him.

Most likely you will hear about the surgery options available to you, be able to ask questions and then be given "homework" to prepare for surgery. My homework entailed:

1. Reading the Beck Diet Solution.
2. Following a strict 1200 calorie a day regular food diet high in protein,
     low in carbs.
3. I was given a pre-surgery goal weight that had to be met prior to being 
     scheduled for surgery
   (I don't think my #3 is all that common, though.)
4. Begin the vitamin protocol prescribed by my surgeon's NUT.
5. Meet with a NUT and psychologist to prepare me for what was ahead.
    (My surgeon also required clearance from the shrink to do the surgery.)
6. Go to a WLS support group.

Everything that my surgeon and his team required of me has led to a very smooth and successful transition to sleeved life. It wasn't always easy to do, but it sure prepared me for sleeved life.

Good luck with your appointment! Let us know how it turns out!

Happy966
on 2/12/12 1:44 am

I was vascillating about surgery for a long time.  In fact, in the four months or so between when I had my first VSG consult and surgery, I mostly just *acted* like I was going to get surgery, but I gave myself plenty of room to change my mind.  Part of this was not telling *anybody* except my partner until I was about to go under.

The physician's assistant I saw gave me some really good advice about my doubts and fears.  She pointed out that I was an engineer, and she could tell I made decisions by accumulating a lot of data.  She told me I wouldn't be able to collect enough data to be 100% certain, and that I might want to consider the decision made if I was at, say, 90% certain.  Because I wouldn't get any closer than that without actually *doing* it.  For some reason, this really helped me live with being nervous and uncertain, yet still go forward with the process.  I am, of course, thrilled I did.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Lexi2012
on 2/12/12 2:00 am
VSG on 06/13/12
 Thanks everyone,  yes I will be meeting with the surgeon on Tuesday, I have attended numerous seminars the past 6 months (i have been on the fence for a long time) but now I'm ready to begin the process.  
I'm not ready to discuss it with my family yet.  therefore so far only my mom and hubby know.  Hubby is nervous, he doesn't like the idea of any surgery but he is being supportive, he's lived through my weight battles with me.  he's never made an issue of my weight but realizes how important it is to me.  
My mom is my biggest supporter, she is rooting me on, she sees how important it is for me to be healthy; not because i have any medical conditions (luckily I DO NOT) however, she sees how my weight will lead to those conditions (she is currently battling heart disease, diabetes,and  high blood pressure and she doesn't want me to battle those things).  

I'm just nervous about my visit with the surgeon.  But I'm also really excited.  I keep thinking about being able to run again without my knees hurting.

I have so many questions and many emotions pushing through that the best way to describe it is excitement and nervousness.  

Thanks all

Lexi         
JessieH
on 2/12/12 8:02 am
Hi Lexi! I lurk around too. My first appointment was scheduled for Valentines Day too. I have been counting down the days for 2 months now and Friday they had to postpone until 2/28. I am so bummed.I want to get the process started already!

Good luck at your appointment!

~Jessie
Lexi2012
on 2/12/12 8:37 am
VSG on 06/13/12
 Lots of luck to you too!

Lexi         
Most Active