Back muscles are killing me....

countrytat
on 2/14/12 7:05 am - OH
VSG on 01/31/12

Is anyone else using their back muscles to make up for stomach muscles they cant use yet?.....Im 2 weeks out, and my back muscles kill because Im making up for what my stomach muscles cant do yet...... any suggestions for the pain?.....its only on the one side.

Nanns_Journey
on 2/14/12 7:18 am
I have had (and still have somewhat) something very similar to what you have described.  I would describe my issue as severe, severe back spasms on my right/middle back that sometimes wrapped around my rib cage to my front.

I asked my doctor about it and he suggested that my core muscles needed to be strengthened through exercise.

In the meantime after trying lots of different things I decided to get this:

Mueller Adjustable Lumbar Back Brace, Black, One Size Fits Most, 1-Count Package

http://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Adjustable-Lumbar-1-Count-Pack age/dp/B00267SFKC/ref=pd_sim_hpc_1 

I wore it for about three days and even wore mine to bed for about three nights and it helped me a great deal.  There for about a week it would take me 20 minutes to get situated in bed the pain was so bad that every movement sent me to the moon.  Now I am not experiencing any pain during the day but I still have some, but much more mild getting in bed and then for the next 20 minutes or so after I've settle in for the night.  I don't know if this will work for you but the compression and support did the trick for me.  The compression is powerful.  It's not the most comfortable feeling but a heck of a lot better than the spasms.
~Nann

1st Goal 350 

Goal2 299 Goal#3 271 Goal#4 250 Goal#5 225 Goal#6 199  Goal#7 149 

VSG/Dec 7,  2011   5'3"  Female,  HW 399,  SW 371    Target Goal 135 lbs/BMI 23.9
Dec M1-23  Jan M2-15  Feb M3-11  Mar M4-13  Apr M5-13  May M6-15  Jun M7-??  Jul M8-??
Aug M9-??  Sep M10-??  Oct M11-??  Nov M12-??  Dec M1-??  Jan M2-??  Feb M3-??

jule R.
on 2/14/12 7:32 am
VSG on 01/31/12 with
YES and I have the pain on my one side also which happens to be the incision that hurts the most as well. The pain has decreased since last week (I am also about 2 weeks out) But when I walk I wear and abdomial binder and I find that it helps a lot.

countrytat
on 2/14/12 9:00 am - OH
VSG on 01/31/12
I do have the binder, but I stopped wearing it sat, cause I dont want to wear it all the time, but I think it does help some.... man when i can go to the gym...my abs and back muscles are gonna become rock hard so i dont have this damn problem!

RubyTues
on 2/14/12 10:32 am - Canada
I'm a little over two months out and I have a back ache..  I have had it for about a month now..
I describe it best like a knot or stitch just below my shoulder blade on the one side only. When I walk on the treadmill I really feel it.
My nurse at the clinic said I should see my doc to get a referral to get a massage.
She said it could be due to laying on my back and having sciatica issues cuz of it.. and that it can show up in the upper back as well as the legs and butt.
 I don't have any suggestions other than maybe see if you could benefit from a massage too.

Happy Camper
on 2/14/12 2:19 pm
 Yes I've had back pain since surgery. I need to build up my muscles for sure. 

Mermaid7
on 2/15/12 1:48 am
Are you sure it is muscle pain?  I had the same thing right after surgery and then it continued for about 2 months.  When I was able to eat yogurt, it was mysteriously eased.  I went to a doctor different than my surgeon who diagnosed it as stomach acid.  I upped my perscription of the pill they gave for extra acid and it helped somewhat. The pain has lessened, but I noticed if I over eat it returns sometimes.  I even wonder if it is a gall bladder pain???  I guess time will tell.
But, my surgeon insisted it was muscular.  I, however am convinced it is not.
Does yogurt lesson your pain?
Good luck to you!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views