Same Weight for 6 Months

bpeete06
on 2/18/12 8:51 am
Bummer I know I was so hoping to meet goal by my 1st year but here it is almost the 22nd and I'm still at 275 give or take. I feel like a failure and I know its all my fault. I give food too much power and feel like I failed my sleeve and the hard work I was putting into it. Any tips on getting back to losing?
moonglo82
on 2/18/12 9:03 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Some people here say that going back to liquids for a few days helps them to get back on track... I haven't been sleeved yet, but I do know that my husband had gotten into a bit of a lull like that for the last few months, and he seems to be doing much better now. He just went back to the basics: getting in 80 grams of protein a day, 64 oz of water, and watching his portions. He told me just the other day that when he eats slowly, he can still feel the full effect of his restriction, but when he inhales his food, it's like he never was sleeved because he can cram so much more in that way.

IMO, just getting back to the basic guidelines and exercising should be helpful. Good luck. You can do this!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

edelu
on 2/18/12 9:46 am - los angeles, CA
How much have you lost and how long have you been at a standstill?
bpeete06
on 2/18/12 9:09 pm
I've lost almost 80 lbs but that was during the 1st 6 months and I've been at a standstill for at least 4-5 months and only about 5 lbs since this summer.
vocalcoach
on 2/18/12 10:20 am - MD
So sorry to hear!  From what I've learned so far, it's about committing yourself everyday to be the healthiest version of yourself you can be.  You have the power.  I would make protein and water a priority followed CLOSELY with exercise and vitamins. 

Praying for your success!!

VickyBT
on 2/18/12 12:29 pm, edited 2/18/12 12:33 am - MI
You aren't alone. WE'RE IN A LIFE LONG BATTLE. It does not end with WLS. I would be surprised if a poll was taken that showed the majority of surgical weight loss patients have long term success.
After all we didn't become morbidly obese from being disaplined.
I'm almost 6 months out and I'm finding it harder and harder to control my eating as far as staying away from carbs and sweets, exercising and drinking enough water. I'm only losing about 3 lbs. a month after my post op 50 lb. loss. It was much easier early post op when I couldn't eat a lot of stuff but the more foods I'm able to eat the less I feel in control. I'm looking into getting some counceling. Support group meetings do nothing for me. I went to Weight Down Workshop weekly for 2 years and it didn't help me at all...neither did Over Eaters Anonymous or Weight Wacthers, Sorry but clapping and cheering because somebody lost 2 lbs seems juvenille to me and does not stop me from eating chocolate. Its far more complex and deep rooted. It's a daily choice that we often fail but don't give up.
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

Crissy327
on 2/18/12 10:54 pm - NC
I feel your pain.Oh, I feel your pain. I am almost 8 months out and my weight loss has slowed down a ton. The fun of it is wearing off and now it's just life trying to maintain and see I can loss any more. I am determined to make my goal, so I keep on going but it does get a lot harder after the 6 month point. As least it did for me.

I posted about a week ago what advice people had to help me to finish my goal. One person said to up my protein to 100 grams and my water to 100oz. I tried that and last week I lost 4lbs! It's the time of month that I normally lose much more than the rest of the month (usually 2-4lbs) but it was a good week any way. So, I am not sure if her idea is why things went well or not but I am sure glad for it. Anyway, for me keeping the carbs up (I mostly use protein shakes to get my numbers up) and keeping the carbs below 40grams is where I have to be to keep the scale moving.

I am a student (even though I am 42 years old), so at the beginning of the year, I got busy with school and didn't get in my protein count. I wasn't eating hardly anything since I was like a month and half out, but my weight loss stopped completely for the 2 weeks I didn't get in much protein. I was shocked as I could not have been eating over 500 calories a day. The next week though, I was right back on track and losing like crazy. So it was an important lesson for me. I HAVE to get in 70 grams of protein every day or kiss my weight loss goodbye.

Then I did a little experiment with carbs a few months ago. Let's suffice it to say, if I eat too many of them, I stall too. So, at least for me. I drink 2-3 good shakes a day and avoid carbs like the plague. My weight loss is now down to 1-2lbs a week but at least the scale is still moving. I am only 15lbs from goal though so that could be why it is moving so slowly.

I have read a lot on this topic and all the vets seem to say to go back to low carb, high protein, high water. For me, it's the only way. It's pretty doable though. The shakes are easy, it's just avoiding carbs
all the time that I find to be challenging.

Hang in there though. I would suggest weighing yourself one day and then working your plan for a week solid and then reweigh yourself and see if it worked. I am sure you will see the scale move again and hopefully that will get you motivated to go for another week. As Dr. Phil says "behave your way to success". Hopefully you can give it one week, then that week will inspire you to another, an then another....

Good luck on your journey. It is a struggle for all of us for sure. I never take for granted that the struggle is over. I hate it, but I know it will never end. I will always want to eat garbage and garbage will always be bad for me. He He. The further out I get the harder it is in ways. In other ways it's easier too. I really can't remember what it was like or even have the desire to eat huge portions anymore. He He. Well at least, we have that. I physically can't eat much either. So the times when I do get off track, I never get too far in to my addiction before I am done.

Good luck and keep us posted. We are all rooting for your success and happiness!
On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views