Chest Xray - done
Psych Eval - done
Bicycle Stress Test - done
Chemical Stress Test - scheduled
Endoscopy - scheduled
IVC Filter - deciding
EsophyX - deciding
VSG - March/April!!!

Anyone who thinks this is the easy way out doesn't know what they're talking about!!!

Oh, and I'm not complaining.... I'm just thrilled (over the moon kind of happy!) that after 10 years of researching and waiting, it's all finally coming together!

Beachteach
on 2/26/12 6:58 am - VA
 Good luck to you. I'm just starting this whole process. I'm seeing the surgeon for the first time this week. How long did you have to wait? 
New_me2011
on 2/26/12 8:35 am - NY
VSG on 02/14/12
 In my experience the wait depends on your insurance company's requirements- my insurer required that I see my primary physician monthly for 6 months to have my weight recorded, in addition I had to schedule a number of tests and appointments on my own, as required by my insurane company (gallbladder ultrasound,EKG,EEG, Stress test with a cardiologist,sleep study, phychologist and nutritionist visit, lab work, attend 2 support group meetings, of course the length of time also depends on how fast you can get your appointments scheduled. I attended a seminar and met with my surgeon in April 2011 and paperwork was submitted to insurance company on 1/18/12- I was approved by 1/20/12, and was sleeved on Valentines Day. Of course, your experience may vary, but this is a general guideline and has been my experience, based on insurance requirements. I hope this helps, and best of luck to you!

Michele            

Beachteach
on 2/26/12 8:41 am - VA
 My insurance co requires a 12 mo wait...kind of bummed thinking I have to wait that long. Starting to second guess my decisions as I don't want to keep this weight on for another year. Did you have to lose a certain amout before your surgery? Thanks for answering my questions.

:0)
New_me2011
on 2/26/12 9:36 am - NY
VSG on 02/14/12
 Glad to answer any questions I can. I have gotten so much advice and inspiration on this site that I am glad to " pay it forward". At the beginning 12 months seems like a long time, but your insurance most likely requires numerous tests like mine did, (I forgot to add that I also had to have an endoscopy in addition to all the other tests I mentioned) and in addition , life happens in between and the time really does go by fast. Even though I only had a 6-month supervised weght monitoring, the entire process took ten months. Also, check your insurance policy-maybe you if you've gone to your doctor in the recent months and were weighed then some of that can count towards your 12 month requirement. One good thing that I found with waiting several months is that you get time to do your research and prepare mentally for the changes ahead , which I found removes a lot of your fears and makes sure you are ready for this life-changing surgery( when you think about it, the bypass and band can both be reversed, but the sleeve can't). Please don't get disheartened or second-guess yourself or this surgery, the time WILL fly by- I didn't have to lose a certain amount of weight before surgery but was on a 2 week pre-op liquid diet - depending on your BMI and what if your insurance company uses your initial BMI(check with your surgeon and insurance policy),  you can use this time to gradually learn your post op diet,-protein , fruits and vegetables and good carbs, healthy fiber and lots of liquids (no caffeine, added sugars or carbonation). I hope this helpss, and please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help in any way. Be well, all the best!

Michele            

Beachteach
on 2/26/12 9:42 am - VA
 Thanks Michele. I will get more information on Friday. My bmi is 40.2 so not sure what is going to happen. I also meet with my PCP in two weeks. I'm glad that I found this site and have spent hours reading all of the information. I have so many questions for my dr. 
Have a nice evening!

New_me2011
on 2/26/12 9:48 am - NY
VSG on 02/14/12
 Best of luck to you. From my research, most insurance companies require a BMI of 40 with no co morbidities, or 35 and up with a co morbidity, so with your BMI all should be well. Of course, check with your surgeon, they are experts on insurance requirements, and I wish you all the best! 
Have a nice evening too!

Michele            

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views