Had surgery 2/27/12 and I'm STARVING!!!!!

carrierae
on 3/2/12 6:33 am - WA
i was hungry after surgery too. As a matter of fact I still am...and have had to eat at least 4oz (not 2 like most people) per meal. I must admit it sucks! It is not head hunger for me...I (and maybe you) are just one of the few who have hunger and can eat more.

It has been a struggle. Ut I have learned how to manage it. For me I eat 3 meals a day plus a protein shake. I have learned to accept my hunger and not let it control me. I also eat low Carb but full fat (no light butter or low fat sour cream) which helps me stay full and stave off hunger. True I eat more than others, and have never had a problem like getting in water or food etc bit I am very happy with my loss.

I am very sorry for your upcoming frustration as it is very hard at first...after a couple months I finally calmed down and learned to roll with it. Try not to stress too much...just think of us as the special ones who transition back into real life easier.

Carrie   HW: 334/Preop Appt W: 328/SW: 313/CW: 2  
preop: -21lbs, month 1: -28lbs, month 2: -16lbs, month 3: -18lbs, month 4: -11lbs,
month 5: -11lbs, month 6: -7lbs, ...all the way down. NOTE: after slacking I got back on track in Nov (month 12) and have lost 16lbs so far!

bethp3
on 3/2/12 6:42 am
 carrierae, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!  I really needed this today, I am so glad to hear that their is someone else out there like me!!!! I'm gonna try to just roll with it and drink more water !!!! I gotta tell myself its just a month!!!!
Faye56
on 3/2/12 8:59 am
VSG on 07/19/11 with
I was hungry after surgery also. It was not head hunger either. There were times when I really did not feel like eating but I was hungry. After I ate a small amount I was ok. The crazy hunger has passsed but I drink a shake in the morning, lunch, snack in the afternoon, dinner and snack at night. I eat about 3 oz at meals.
Just remember what all the vets say about the "Honeymoon stage" being the 1st 6 mo. After that weight loss really slows down. Mine has almost stopped or very long stalls. Take advantage of this honeymoon stage!
Good luck...hang in there. The hunger does get better.

"Encourage instead of criticize.  Love instead of hate.  Hope instead of doubt. Give instead of take.  Trust instead of worry.  We open our hearts to others so that they will be prompted to open their hearts to God"  Lucy Swindoll

Rouxful
on 3/2/12 2:41 pm
 This is the most difficult phase, as you can't yet fall back on normal food to help fill up. I second the above advice to eat jello, or CarbSmart ice cream if you want something a bit more substantial. I recommend the CryoSport shakes from Costco, that have less than 5g net carbs per serving. It's 100% isolate and one serving still fills me to bloating, even 8 months out, and leaves me full for hours.

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

carrierae
on 3/2/12 3:14 pm - WA
beth.. you are welcome! I am here for you. A lot of people dnt understand those of us who still have hunger and are able/need to eat more than 2oz per meal. If you find yourself continuing down that path I have been on be sure to reach out to me. I am a couple months ahead of you and may have tips that may be able to kept you sane.

preop: -21lbs, month 1: -28lbs, month 2: -16lbs, month 3: -18lbs, month 4: -11lbs,
month 5: -11lbs, month 6: -7lbs, ...all the way down. NOTE: after slacking I got back on track in Nov (month 12) and have lost 16lbs so far!

carrierae
on 3/2/12 3:19 pm - WA
Oh and while on liquids I did my protein shake and cream soups/bisques. I didn't worry about carbs really then. The thick soups helped me a lot.lobster bisque from Costco was a staple. I was only on liquid for 2 weeks and even that I couldn't do. I moved to thinner puree a day or 2 early.

bethp3
on 3/2/12 8:42 pm
 Thank you again, I will for sure take you up on that. I have 2 weeks of clear liquids and 2 weeks of full liquids. Then I can start mushie. So I havea while to go, but I was told I couldn't have cream soups (by dr). I'm afraid of getting a leak, so I'm trying to do everything the doc tells me. 
When did you eat cream soups (days from surgery)
carrierae
on 3/3/12 1:11 am - WA
i ate cream soups day 3 after surgery. My Dr plan was clear 2 days then full. I did cream soup and would just blend it to make sure no big pieces. Then at 2 week point to puree.

bethp3
on 3/3/12 1:15 am
 Oh how I wish that was my dr's plan LOL
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 248 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 315 views